Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Uni-Saw/New Model Owners

Delta Uni-Saw/New Model Owners

Delta Uni-Saw/New Model Owners

Okay the new Uni-Saw has been on the market for a while now and it has been in people’s shops. Is it all that they said it was? Are there any dislikes now that you have used it in every day practice? What are some of the sort comings of the saw and what are some of the more beneficial aspects of this saw compared to your old saws? Is the Biesemeyer Fence still top quality or have they cheapened it up? (Or anything else) Do the hand wheels work as smooth as they state? How well does the arbor lock work for changing blades? Do you have to have dust collecting for the saw to work properly? What parts of the saw did not live up to what the sales brochures stated? What kind of mobile base do you have under your saw’s and do you like them?

Okay ..Okay ..Here’s the deal, I am considering selling my Jet 3hp cabinet saw and my PM66 cabinet saw and getting one of these that’s way I am asking.

Also were did you find the best deal on the one you got? I do know they have a $300.00 MF rebate going on now also.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

The CPO outlet has s 15% sale on all tools and acessories. By the way, I love my PM66.

The Pm 66 that I have works fine. It is about 15 years old I think, I like the idea of a riving knife and some of the perks of the Delta design
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard, Are giving up both saws due to room? A good PM 66 is hard to beat. I have the new biesemeyer fence on my Rockwell 12-14. I think it isn't quite as heavy as the old steel version. The tube on the new is an aluminum casting and can be slid right and left on a channel. I wanted to rip on the left side of the blade for bevels so I opted for it. The head moves very nicely and it stays quite parallel when moved compared to the old. Very nice but not enough better to change your life. The riving knife issue can be dealt with most of the time with an aftermarket type. If I had the room for two saws I would sell the jet and look for a small slider. Even a hammond trim saw is a pretty good companion as a crosscut saw. Dave

Dave I check into getting an aftermarket riving knife but they don’t make ones for my saw. Room is not a big issue (but extra won’t be bad) as I only have one of the saws set up at this time ( with an 8ft extension) and was going to set them up in a back to back configuration but was thinking about just having one brand new one. Don’t really need to just think with the new design it would be nice.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I was looking at one in Woodcraft yesterday. Lots of stuff under the hood. The riving knive and guard were cool but had a lot of pieces and parts. Dust collection is similar to a S/S, which can be a pain when it clogs. Yes, you need a dust collector. No way I would get rid of a PM 66 for a new Unisaw. I'd be looking for another 66....
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-22-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Sell the Jet. The fancy things will not buy you much with what you already have in the PM66. Just buy http://www.mikestools.com/B78-440-Bi...fore-1978.aspx B78-440 from Mikes Tools.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Richard, Doesn't the sharkguard guy make knives for the 66? If I were looking at a $3000 saw it would be an older one. PM 72, Rockwell 12-14, Northfield etc. I use multiple saws as well but one is a slider. It is nice to have one set for dados but that one doesn't need riving capability. Look hard at the internals before spending more for new. Dave

No way I would get rid of a PM66 for a Unisaw! I have a Uni and love it but used a 66 for over 35 years where I worked. It was a workhorse, never had to do anything but change belts. Just my 2 cents, but you'll regret not having your PM 66 around.

joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I should have stated that they don’t make a riving knife/spreader for the Jet from what I have looked at. I never checked into the PM 66. Thanks for the leads on spreders for the PM66 defiantly something to consider.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

11. love my uni-saw, no complaints, both wheels in the front almost feel frictionless, the arbor lock works great, and the wide mouth is easy to get your hands in, the riving knife is easy to adjust or remove. my dust collection system keeps the inside of the cabinet clean. I have the left tilt, 3 hp 52" w/ Biesemeyer Fence. been using it since 10/2009

Quote Originally Posted by david paul miller View Post
    love my uni-saw, no complaints, both wheels in the front almost feel frictionless, the arbor lock works great, and the wide mouth is easy to get your hands in, the riving knife is easy to adjust or remove. my dust collection system keeps the inside of the cabinet clean. I have the left tilt, 3 hp 52" w/ Biesemeyer Fence. been using it since 10/2009
    +1 - I have had my 3 hp, 52" Unisaw for about 5 months and agree with David. Love the riving knife adjustment lever being on the front of the saw - very easy to use. Delta mobile base is very nice also - welded construction and very solid. Gald that I made the purchase for sure !
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 08-23-2011 at 7:06 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    +1 - I have had mine 3 hp, 52" Unisaw for about 5 months and agree with David. Love the riving knife adjustment lever being on the front of the saw - very easy to use. Delta mobile base is very nice also - welded construction and very solid. Gald that I made the purchase for sure !
    I have had my new design Unisaw about 2 1/2 years. I replaced a PM66. I would do it again. No regrets.

What kind of motors did the first ones come out with? Currently they have the MARATHON® motor are they any good or as good as a Baldor?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    I have had my new design Unisaw about 2 1/2 years. I replaced a PM66. I would do it again. No regrets.
    Chris how old was your PM66 that you replace for the new Uni?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006