Thread: One Dust Collection Solution

One Dust Collection Solution

After much debate I ended up with a 2 HP Shop Fox (I'll be upgrading to a cannister filter soon) and 4" PVC with aluminum blast gates. Aluminum blast gates were adapted with a rubber band for a rough seal and some trimmed screws to fit and provide a little rigidity. Flex hose is 4" clear line, I haven't finished running all the flex yet... I drilled and tapped a second pivot screw for the outlet of the collector so that it could be rotated (see photo) and reduce the bend. Chip collection is achieved with a garbage can cyclone. Set up works excellent, though I'll be happier with better filtration once I get a cannister on it...now I've just got to finish the collection box for my Table Saw and I'll be all set. Here's a few photos of the process for folks to take a look at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice setup. I don't have a DC yet except for Dust Deputy and vac that I move around. So that leads to my question. Don't you have to periodically empty the trashcan? If so, why put it up so high?

Yes, when I'm using my larger machines (Jointer/Planer) I have to empty it after dimensioning a few pieces of stock...the height is really just to save floor space, and keep all the dust collection components close together. I'm 6'3" so it really doesn't present any challenge, although if I had more floor space I certainly would put it at ground level.

Very nice set up. I especially like the blast gates in the pvc. I just finished a DC system with a similar garbage can cyclone and put the gates in the flex hose. I like your set up better.

I've since run a bead of tub and tile caulk around all the blast gate joints and WOW now this thing really hums...

The best part is the Keg-o-rater next to the DC.
    Chuck

Sam Adams on tap anyone?

Nice setup!

FWIW, IMHO you have floor space to spare by comparison.

You went through a couple of extra steps that I am not doing, not sure if I will regret it. But I simply slide fit my blast gates to the pipe, then run a thin bead of clear silicone caulk to more or less stick the two together from the outside. Should make it easier to disassemble if I need to later on... If that ends up failing on me, I will do the screw thing like you did...

Unless you have real back troubles, the location of that dust bin shouldn't be a problem. It's pretty small, so filling it up won't make it too heavy unless it gets full with the ultra fine stuff. Since it's not a Thien type, I wouldn't worry about that being a problem...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Some day I'm going to have to snap a picture of the franken-piping that constitutes my DC system. Just so y'all feel even better about your nice clean setups.

Chris, is that a beer tap with two stacks of plastic cups in one of your pics? Lots of cups there, pal. Plan on using them all by yourself?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have the same DC and plan to build a Thein seperator with Wynn cartridge. I am trying to come to grips with using 6 inch pipe and retrofit all tools for 6 inch or use 4 inch drops or do as Chris did with all 4 inch.
    Indecision may or may not be my problem.
    Will the Swamp Fox 2hp handle about 25ft of 6 inch main line with no more than two 6 inch branches of approximately 8ft each open at a time?