Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a jointer?

Do I need a jointer?

I found a Ridgid 6" jointer for $175 used and while I was on the phone with the guy he said the only reason he is selling it is because he just bought a new Grizzly 1023 table saw and that it cuts so good that he doesn't even need a jointer. I have the same saw as him so now I am questioning do I really need a jointer. I have not used the saw yet and never owned a jointer so I don't know. I am new to woodworking and I am building me tool inventory and just finished my new shop and getting moved in that is why I haven't used the saw. All I have used so far is benchtop tablesaws. So once again I call on the woodworking gods. Thanks!!!

For $175, get it. A TS is not a replacement for a jointer, although there are some that tell you otherwise.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

So $175 dollars sounds like a good deal?

$175 is about as good of a deal as you'll find used (how old is it?). Home Depot was recently just clearancing out the Ridgid jointer for $199 - but those are mostly gone unless your local HD happens to have any left. Normally the jointer was in the $400 neighborhood and many bought it at those prices and are happy. I just finished putting mine together and I have to say, it is an incredibly solid piece of machinery.

By the way, your tablesaw might easily edge joint boards, but it doesn't do the face jointing for you. I suppose you could hand plane the faces, or set up a router jig for face jointing, but at $175 for a decent jointer, go for it. The only reason I'd tell you to not go for it is if you were contemplating getting an 8" one.

I am contemplating an 8" but my budget is real low right now and I also need a drill press. So an 8" is a couple years down the road. I figured for $175 I can make due til then. Am I thinking wrong?

Hello from down the road... on the Diversion Canal here.

Look at the thread about jointer use posted yesterday. You can GET BY without a joineter but if you use rough wood I couldn't imagine living without one.

Blog Entries
    From the owner's comments I would say he was only edge jointing and that can be readily done on a tablesaw. This of course assumes your material is already flat which almost no material is. Ripping non-flat material is a good cause of kickback. I got by with a planer sled and planer for face jointing for quite awhile and it is very doable. For the price it sounds like a good deal for that jointer. If you are targeting an 8" I would pass and get by with a sled till you are ready to buy the larger machine.

I realized I had made an error in buying my 6" jointer almost immediately. I sold it and used the planer sled till I could get the 8" spiral that I have now. The usability of a 6", 8" or larger jointer will depend on what you build and what your source material is like that you start with. No clear answer. I think I can say without fear of contradiction that we hear more about people selling their 6" to upgrade to an 8" than any other size shift in jointers(?). Many people get along fine with a 6" and wonder what the fuss is about.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hello Van (neighbor) LOL !!! Nice to see someone local. Where do you buy your lumber locally?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullie Templet View Post
    I found a Ridgid 6" jointer for $175 used and while I was on the phone with the guy he said the only reason he is selling it is because he just bought a new Grizzly 1023 table saw and that it cuts so good that he doesn't even need a jointer. I have the same saw as him so now I am questioning do I really need a jointer. I have not used the saw yet and never owned a jointer so I don't know. I am new to woodworking and I am building me tool inventory and just finished my new shop and getting moved in that is why I haven't used the saw. All I have used so far is benchtop tablesaws. So once again I call on the woodworking gods. Thanks!!!
    You are a lucky man.

I NEVER buy a tool until it is absolutely ridiculously obvious that I need it.

Since you don't know if you need a jointer, you don't! (yet...).

-Steve

Once you buy the jointer you will realize you need it... $175 a great deal for a 6" jointer... I'd say dive in and get it you won't regret it... besides you can't face joint on a TS.

If you have a planer then you can buy rough stock and the 2 will pay for themselves in no time, you'll have flatter truer stock than you can get at the mill... most mill just plane and straight line rip they don't joint so the boards tend to have a little wave to them.

Just my 2 cents though, It's your money spend it how you want.

I wouldnt have a shop without a jointer. I use a lot of rough cut, so I find it necessary. You cant take the bow out of a board with a table saw. In my opinion, it is easier to flatten a board on a jointer than with a planer with a sled.

Again, it is just my opinion.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Hello Van (neighbor) LOL !!! Nice to see someone local. Where do you buy your lumber locally?

I am fairly new to the area and this is a second home for us, I have only used Robichaux down in Raceland, decent but hope I find better when I have time to look around. Do you know any places closer?

Van, the only one I know of off the top of my head is in Ponchatoula. It is call Acadian Hardwoods. My buddy owns a cabinet shop and that is where they get there stuff from. I made a list of a few other places but I have to find it. I know a few places to get cypress but that is fairly easy to find around here. Just getting into WW so I'm not real familiar just yet. You live on the river?

Van, the only one I know of off the top of my head is in Ponchatoula. It is call Acadian Hardwoods. My buddy owns a cabinet shop and that is where they get there stuff from. I made a list of a few other places but I have to find it. I know a few places to get cypress but that is fairly easy to find around here. Just getting into WW so I'm not real familiar just yet. You live on the river?

I have heard of Acadian but have not been there. Our house is on the diversion where Hwy 22 goes over the canal.

That's a nice area out there.