Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Platter w/Crystal Mineral Inlays

Maple Platter w/Crystal Mineral Inlays

This piece is the result of having lived on the Mississippi Coast during Hurricane Katrina and taking a course last month from Stephen Hatcher in crystal mineral inlays at the John Campbell Folk School. It's a maple platter, almost 14" in diameter, inlayed with crystal minerals. The rim and design were carved about 1/4" deep then filled with calcite in three degrees of courseness, saturated with CA glue and sanded (for many hours). The trees' smaller branches were done with a woodburner. This is my 1st named woodturning, "Katrina Tree #1."

The tree is a composite of two trees on Hwy 90 in Pass Christian, Ms. and is typical of many of the live oaks that lost the limbs facing the windward or Gulf side during Hurricane Katrina. We lived on the water on the Mississippi Coast and lost our house which took four years to rebuild and sell. During that time we made a lot of trips from our new home in Pensacola back to the Mississippi Coast and took a lot pictures of post Katrina destruction.

Thanks to all of you guys who offered help for the problems I was having with the finish, especially to David Christopher who invited me to his shop and taught me some of his techniques.
    Attached Images Attached Images

absolutely gorgeous! beautiful wood and beautiful design!

That is something. Well worth the name. This one is worth a tutorial. Really nice and well done.

Bill - this is absolutely amazing! Beautiful piece and one you should be very proud of! Exceptional art work - really love the inlay! To say this is impressive is such an understatement! I am totally in awe! Thanks for sharing!

I do empathize with you on your hurricane experience. I used to live in Heron Bay, Alabama - which is south of Bayou La Batre and just north of Dauphin Island - we lost everything, and I mean everything - in hurricane Frederick back in 1979. Quite the experience and like all natural disasters - it brings out the best (or not) in people.

This is an amazing piece Bill!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful... You really captured the tree IMO. Great work.

Bill, this piece is absolutely wonderful. You captured the feeling and emotions, the movement of the tree, the bark, the depth of field and perspective - just wonderful art, and the craftsmanship used in the medium is superb!! I finally got past the art, and realized that you also did a beautiful job on the turning!! And, it seems mundane at this point, but nice wood, too.

When I hear stories like yours, and Steve's, I realize how truly blessed I am. I thank the good Lord everyday for my circumstances, and pray for those in worse. You, and your family, will cherish this piece for generations.

Thanks for posting, and for the source of inspiration for this piece.

Stunning piece of work Bill.

Wow Bill that is just plain beautiful. And you tell a good story to go along with your art...Bill...

Very well done....looks like the Master himself had done it.

Wally

That is a really great piece, Bill.

I could'nt add anything else other than what the others have said.GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
    Donny

Very Nice!!

Bill great work! You sure did a fine job on the turning and inlay work! G

That's gorgeous.

Wow, that's beautiful!

Thumbs up excellent

Bill,

Excellent work with great detail
    neil

The wooden Potter