Thread: pendants

pendants

Saw a post here in the last few days about making pendants but can't find it back, i would like to find the source for the chuck they use for the making of the pendants. Thanks
    Wally

Wally check out IAP classifieds.

Click on "search" in the top bar and under "search forums" type in "pendants." There's a lot of stuff there. You may also want to do the same at the international assoc of penturners forum (IAP).

Lots of deals going on at IAP through the end of the day... Can't remember if the pendant backer is among the things on sale, but I'd check just in case.

I just purchased a deluxe pendent backer from Richard Joyner. I saw a video of it and it uses a bottle stopper mandrel to hold it. I am hoping to get it next week.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Check this out, posted yesterday.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134234

I have the one selling on IAP. It is nice and works very well, but this one is probably just as good and can be made from scrap. If I had seen this thread sometime ago I would not have bought one, I'd have made one like this but I love to make jigs.

Thanks for the replies to my question on pendants, always know i will get good info. on this forum.
    Wally

Bernie,

Lauren and I are just about to go down into our shop and make some templates for use with Richards pendant backer plate.

I'll explain a bit more later, with photos.

The pendant backer is very very nice, and quite flexible. Richard shipped promptly.

We're using it with an MT2 bottle stopper mandrel from Ruth Niles.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Thanks Alan. Look forward to it.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

First two pendant backer templates...

Here are some photos of the first two templates... we'll make one for each of the mandrel positions.

Our first attempt at these templates uses thick plastic sheets (used for making stencils) taped to the plate.

Each starts out with a sharpie cross hair that lines up with the 0/12 and 6/18 positions... so we can easily reorient them later.

Then with the mandrel in the center position, we marked a series of concentric circles.

Next move the mandrel to another position (in our first case #2) and locate the new center (we used a drill in the tailstock to find the new center), and mark concentric circles for that particular offset.

Then remove the template and repeat for each of the mandrel offset positions.

Shown here are positions #2 and #3. We'll make a full set over the next couple of days (maybe put them onto thin plexiglass...)

By having an overlay templates, we can turn a pendant round on center, then position overlays to see where we want to drill holes, make scribe cuts, etc. Using the crosshairs, we can rotate the template to see the effect that rotating the deluxe index plate would have. Also, the overlays can be stacked so see what would happen if we used multiple offset positions for a project.

By centering an overlay on a work in progress, it should make it easier to mark the chisel position on the toolrest to make scribing cuts.

We're just beginning to explore the possibilities... and having a good time.

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 03-01-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I have one of these pendant backers too. I will definitely have to make a template like Alan has, that is a great idea. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get good results making these? My first attempts have been disappointing. I can't seem to get very clean lines when I move off the original center position.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Chris, have you looked at the free video that YoyoSpin has. It is two parts:

http://yoyospin.com/tutorials/

Thanks Alan. I can think of endless possibilities with this thing. I am in trouble though as the wife just found out I bought the backer plate and was looking at some picture I had saved.
    Bernie

See Bernie, although we apparently have lots in common, we do have some differences.

When I first found out about Richard's pendant backer plate, I showed Ed's videos to my wife. The first words out of her mouth:

"Order one for me... the deluxe version please"

Cool, eh?