Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Grinding not doing Extension Wings

Quality Grinding not doing Extension Wings

Just got an email from Chris that Quality Grinding is no longer doing extension wings. I had wanted a router mounted and asked what the price would be. He replied simply "Richard we are no longer manufacturing ext. wings. Thanks,
    Chris" BUMMER

I looked them up about 1.5 weeks ago, when I was going to order a cast iron router table. Found out the same thing. I didn't contact them, but found the info either here, or on elsewhere on the internet.

Chris manufactured a custom router table with cast iron top and all, and then awarded it to a member here at SMC. It was a contest actually, and a person won this router table, and a VERY nice one at that. The person was obligated to do a thorough review, and voluntarily (supposedly) set up a website to host his thorough review of the router table. This was a generous contest offered by Chris, which benefited the winner, and hopefully some referrals/orders for Chris for some of the new router tables.

The person who won the router table, NEVER, fulfilled their end of the bargain. NEVER set up the website, NEVER reviewed the machine, NEVER wrote an article of review. Nothing! I found out all of this when I was trying to contact Chris at Quality. I couldn't believe that someone would be of this low of character, when Chris and SMC was so generous to him.

I did a search of the winner's name, and he has had enough nerve to post here, since winning the custom router table. I will not mention names though.

But I feel that we, members at SMC, missed out on the opportunity to own a nice router table. Moreover, I am sure that Chris was thoroughly disgusted that someone took advantage of him, and his generosity.

I ended up purchasing a Bench Dog ProMax Cast Iron router table top to fit onto my New Yankee Workshop router base/cart. So far I am very happy with it. Good Luck in your search.

Bill

3. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson View Post
    Chris manufactured a custom router table with cast iron top and all, and then awarded it to a member here at SMC. It was a contest actually, and a person won this router table, and a VERY nice one at that. The person was obligated to do a thorough review, and voluntarily (supposedly) set up a website to host his thorough review of the router table. This was a generous contest offered by Chris, which benefited the winner, and hopefully some referrals/orders for Chris for some of the new router tables.

The person who won the router table, NEVER, fulfilled their end of the bargain. NEVER set up the website, NEVER reviewed the machine, NEVER wrote an article of review. Nothing! I found out all of this when I was trying to contact Chris at Quality. I couldn't believe that someone would be of this low of character, when Chris and SMC was so generous to him.

But I feel that we, members at SMC, missed out on the opportunity to own a nice router table. Moreover, I am sure that Chris was thoroughly disgusted that someone took advantage of him, and his generosity.

Bill
    Are you saying that this company's marketing plan for product promotion and sales was entirely dependent on the voluntary efforts of a contest winner? And from the winner's review of a free prize, he was suppose to convince people of his unbiased opinion?

Yeah, I don't think a contest winner should be responsible for creating a web site to promote some company's product, especially on his own nickel.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by William Hutchinson View Post
    Are you saying that this company's marketing plan for product promotion and sales was entirely dependent on the voluntary efforts of a contest winner? And from the winner's review of a free prize, he was suppose to convince people of his unbiased opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Yeah, I don't think a contest winner should be responsible for creating a web site to promote some company's product, especially on his own nickel.

Jason

Jason, that was the winners idea to have a website set up, NOT the promoter or Sawmillcreek.

Read the old thread if you care to find out some more details.

I've been wondering when we were going to get that review. Well, that question has certainly been answered.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    Jason, that was the winners idea to have a website set up, NOT the promoter or Sawmillcreek.

Read the old thread if you care to find out some more details.
    Thank you for explaining that Alex. My mistake if I made it sound like that was a requirement. It was not, it was the winner's idea, and was used to convince the business/person donating that custom router table, to award the router table to the winner.

Bill

In our original agreement the review was supposed to be here at SawMill Creek. The winner decided he preferred to create a web site, the review was never provided to us here at The Creek.

I doubt that the success of Quality Grinding and Machine hinged on the success of this particular promotion. The company was on the front end of the economic downturn based on the fact that they are a machine shop related business. Chris Brown is probably still trying to hold on but I haven't heard from him in over a year.

I had one of the router tables ordered but never received it

Thats too bad. I bought a 24in model for a General 650. Quality grinding had a great product that I'm really happy with. ~mark

Before I would post negative info about a member I would get his side of the story.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Before I would post negative info about a member I would get his side of the story.
    What?
    Don't be silly.
    It's more fun this way.

I'm certainly glad I got mine when I did. Bummer for folks wanting a great extension option. I hope they can get back into that part of the business in the future.
    Use the fence Luke

I hope they do start making router tables again. Wasn't the right time for me then, but they appeared to do fantastic work from the pics.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I'm sure by what folks have posted at SMC that their tables were fantastic, but I'm not sure how you compete with a $230-$250 cast iron extension wing from Peachtree (and I'm sure others). Especially when Peachtree bases their shipping on the item price (according to their sales rep on the phone). It would cost me about $25 to have one of their wings shipped to me.

I vaguely recall this drama. It seems to me that if the contest winner was obligated to do a review of the product (whether here on SMC or on his own website) and he never did, why would he still be allowed to post here at SMC? Seems like a violation of the rules - not to mention just plain "in your face" to Quality. I'd like to hear this guy's side of the story too.

edit: forgot to mention - I'm sure this one instance is not the reason why Quality stopped production. But giving away router tables and getting nothing in return I'm sure didn't help.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 03-02-2010 at 10:04 AM.