Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The SawStop has landed

The SawStop has landed

Went today and picked up the SawStop I had ordered. It's the professional model. That sucker is HEAVY. They put it in the pickup with a forklift but we had to get it out at my house without one. We took everything out of the box, then took the tailgate off, and slid the saw down, just me and another guy.

Next is to take my old saw out and install this saw with a router wing and outfeed table. So it'll be a few days before it's operational.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

BAAAHHHHHH!

GREAT saw!

Don't skip a detail ... pics ... narrative ... thorough review, when you've got 'er up and running.

[Ptooey!]

You, Sir, are gonna' have some big, safe fun!

Mike. What kind of router wing are you installing? Custom made or just mounting into the existing extensions?

When you get it together, I wonder if you could check how the blade alignment changes as you hit the positive angle stops. I think Cliff Holmes said his went out 0.005" when it was set to one of the positive stops. I've experienced that with my contractor saw, but was surprised to hear that it happens on a cabinet saw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gibson View Post
    Mike. What kind of router wing are you installing? Custom made or just mounting into the existing extensions?
    Right now, I have a shop made router wing on my existing saw. All I know is that I have to put my router in one wing of the SawStop because of space - but I don't know how I'm going to do it yet. I'll figure out something - I hope!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    When you get it together, I wonder if you could check how the blade alignment changes as you hit the positive angle stops. I think Cliff Holmes said his went out 0.005" when it was set to one of the positive stops. I've experienced that with my contractor saw, but was surprised to hear that it happens on a cabinet saw like this.
    I'll let you know, Dan. It'll be a while before I able to check that.

Mike

Congrats Mike!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Right now, I have a shop made router wing on my existing saw. All I know is that I have to put my router in one wing of the SawStop because of space - but I don't know how I'm going to do it yet. I'll figure out something - I hope!

Mike
    The only reason I was asking is that is exactly what I am doing now with my Sawstop PCS. I just wrote to Quality Grinding today to find a cost since a lot of guys on the forum recommended them. I was surprised to get a reply that they are not doing custom extension wings any longer. Didn't know if you had another source.

Router Wing

Mike,

I will be curious to see your router wing as well. I have been thinking more and more about building one for mine. I have a bosch RA1181 that works well. But I get lazy about getting it set up on something and taking up space while it is set up. It would be nice if it was part of the table saw. I go back and forth on this. Maybe I will make one for my table saw and keep the bosch. And keep both in use so I can have both rail and style bits chucked up and ready to go. Instead of having to swap them out. We will be waiting for pictures.

You are going to love the sawstop. My table was out of alignment with the blade by .010 but it is real easy to adjust. I fought with the fence for awhile getting it to slide smoothly but not move before lock down due to slop between the rail and the fence. After a couple of trys and my own adjustment procedure I have it the way I like it now. What saw are you replacing?

I have a Craftsman contractor's saw right now, to which I added a Biesemeyer fence. The saw works okay but I'd like the smooth operation of a cabinet saw, and the increased power.

My shop is very small - 10' x 11' - so I have to be very efficient in the use of space. In fact, I have a vise on one wing of my table saw right now and I'll have to move that over, also.

I'm sure I'll figure something out - I have to.

Mike

Congrats, Mike. I don't use table saw but if I ever need one, that would be the one I aim for.

Mike, I am very curios as to your thoughts on the sawstop fence compared to the biesemeyer fence you had on your previous saw. The fence is such a critical part of a table saw that a poorly designed one could be a deal killer for myself buying a sawstop.

Thanks Loren

Mike, you will love that saw.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Congrats on the new saw Mike.

Congratulations Mike. That sure looks like a nice saw, and I hope it serves you well.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.