Thread: need a new table saw switch

need a new table saw switch

hey guys-
    So about an hour and a half ago my contractor style delta table saw died. Upon further investigation found out the switch is the problem and its toast. I want to replace it with an aftermarket switch because i never liked the small stop button.

Im looking at either in no particular order:

MLCS 9072 Safety Motor Power Switch

or

Grizzly H8243 110/220V Paddle On/Off Switch

anybody buy and install either of these or have a better suggestion?

every comment plus or minus will help considerably....

(keep in mind my setup is 220v 2hp motor(upgrade))

Ill try and post pics tonight if the wifie has the camera in her car-

thanks
    jeff

I just ordered the same MLCS to replace the small buttons on my saw's switch. I'm hoping it will be here by the end of the week (shipped yesterday) so I can install it this weekend. My current switch is working, I just don't like fumbling for the off button while the saw is running. I'll report back once it's installed.

I bought that same Grizzly one - I just haven't had time to install it yet! It's basically the same switch that I had on my old Delta which worked great, if that means anything. Grizz was a good price too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff kratz View Post

Of the two you listed, only the Griz mentions a HP rating. Normally switches for motor control are rated both in terms of HP and amperage due to the inductive load of a motor. Second, neither of them specifically state they are double pole switches. The information on the webpage for the Griz implies somewhat that it might be double pole, but I didn't see an explicit statement to that effect.

A single pole switch will make and break the circuit to start/stop a 240v motor, but a single pole switch leaves one of the leads hot at the motor. That could be a shocking surprise (pun intended) if you expect the power to the motor to be completely cold when the switch is off.

With no more than a cursory reading of the sales info, my personal preference would be the Griz because of the stated inductive load rating and the implication that it may be a double pole switch. But, I'd tie that down hard before writing a check.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have the MLCS switch (haven't installed it though) and when I bought it, I asked them whether it was a single pole or double pole. They told me it was a double pole switch, usable on 240V. I haven't looked inside the switch yet.

[Let me be specific. I asked them whether the switch broke both lines of a 240V line, or only one line. They assured me it broke both lines. I should check the model number of the switch I have to be absolutely sure, but it looks like the same switch.]

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-02-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Jeff
    I have the mlcs switch installed it on a 14in delta band saw it has 4 terminals so you can hook it up to disconect both wires that is the way i hooked it i have it on a 110 volt motor but it was easy to just hook up the incoming line and the power feed so that is what i did [ i can not tell you if it is ok on 220v ] has a reasonibly nice box with it and a big shut off paddle was great for my application i also have the grizzly switch H8338 i bought it to use for this very application BUT it does not come with the box and it will not fit a standard box there was a thread down in off topics a short while ago about the box for these switchs in the mean time I ended up just getting the mlcs one but after reading here what peaple used for the grizzly switch i finaly found a box that will work so i will use that on another application [i built a horizontal router table and it needs a switch also] LD

Jeff,
    Consider a Magnetic Contactor Switch (there are other names). This switch is available through electric supply outfits and has the advantage of turning off the table saw if a circuit breaker trips or an extension cord comes unplugged.

Consider the following scenario:

While cutting a piece of wood the electric stops.

The correct procedure would be to turn off the saw's switch, remove the wood from the saw, and then lower the blade.

What if you forgot one of the steps and walked over and reset the breaker?

The Magnet Contactor automatically turns off if power fails. Hence it is much safer.

--Jesse

I have a couple of the Grizzly switches. One is a 220 model on my Unisaw. No problems.

I took a local community ed class and most of the equipment, including the 2 Unisaws, had these Easy Off switches:

http://www.reitech.com/products/controls.asp

I'm guessing they're a bit pricey, but they were really nice.

For a tablesaw, I'd look for a "magnetic" switch, which cuts power off to the saw's motor in the event of a power outage.

That might sound weird until you're touching the blade when the power suddenly comes back on -- OUCH!!

On my 20-year-old JET bandsaw (110 volts), I just hooked up a regular ol' 15-amp lightswitch from the hardware store. Works just fine for me.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jeff kratz View Post
    hey guys-
    So about an hour and a half ago my contractor style delta table saw died. Upon further investigation found out the switch is the problem and its toast. I want to replace it with an aftermarket switch because i never liked the small stop button.

Im looking at either in no particular order:

MLCS 9072 Safety Motor Power Switch

or

Grizzly H8243 110/220V Paddle On/Off Switch

anybody buy and install either of these or have a better suggestion?

every comment plus or minus will help considerably....

Ill try and post pics tonight if the wifie has the camera in her car-

thanks
    jeff
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-02-2010 at 4:44 PM.