Thread: Little Cherry Side Table

Little Cherry Side Table

This is a small side table I made last year. They don't take up much room and will go under a window or side of a wall about any where. The top is 13" wide and 36" long by 28" high. It is mortise and tenon, dovetailed drawer and wooden peged.P2240003.jpg

P2240006.jpg

P2240005.jpg

The grain on this is gorgeous! What finishing techniques did you use. I'm getting ready to build a few cherry tables and like the looks of this.

Very nice!!!!!

Derek G, The only thing I use on cherry anymore is Formby's Tung Oil Finish low gloss. I tried other stuff when I started out but this worked for me better. I use 3 to 4 coats and hand rub between coats and rub with paste wax.

Nice work, Carl. I really like the subtle details with the pegs in the M&T joints and the bead molding around the drawer. Adds some nice character without overwhelming the clean lines of the piece.

That's some wild grain in that cherry. Where'd you pick up the cherry, locally or ordered somewhere?

Nice job Carl. Again.. your local sawyer friend is putting out some fantastic cherry.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Very elegant. I love the wood, finish, and the design. The hard work really shows. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice piece of furniture! Like the style, the joinery, the wood and the finish. That about covers it all!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have made several side tables for my family and friends the rest were wider and longer.

Tony S, This lumber came from West Virginia and I get it from the sawmill.

Carl, kind of late to this showing, but I love this table!! Very nice proportions, nice detailing, and as others have noted, the wood is fantastic. Great job!

WOW, I Love the grain.It's got that curly look to it.I would like to have a couple hunred of bft.of that stuff.
    Donny

Great job on the table Carl.
    And as others have said, beautiful figure in that cherry wood....

Great job,and wonderful cherry.

Are your legs 1.5 inches square or 1 and 3/8?

I ask because I have made two tables with 1.5 inch square legs, and I am considering 1 and 3/8 sq. legs with 5/8" rails.

Thanks for posting.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin S., Yes I used 1.5" square legs tapered down from the apron to 5/8" at the bottom. I don't see why you can't use 1.375" to start with and go down to .625". on this size table. Now sayin that from the apron down I taper the legs in half on my night stands. My kitchen table the legs start out 3.500" and from the arpon down I used 2.00" at the bottomI guess what I am trying to say is the bigger the table the less I taper. That is my way, I am sure others do it different.

Thanks for looking