Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feedback requested - planned shop arrangement

feedback requested - planned shop arrangement

Once it starts to warm-up, I plan to start construction of my new shop. It will be attached to my current two-car garage. I will be able to use some of the garage bay closest to the addition. I have attached a couple of pictures of my tentative arrangement. It's easy for me to get "tunnel vision" once I start with an idea, so I asking for input on tool arrangement.
    I have some of the tools already and some will be future purchases. I'm trying to plan the arrangement particularly for plumbing and dust collection. The size of the addition will be limited to what I show on the drawings given my lot size and terrain. I show the dust collector in the garage with the exhaust through the wall back into the shop. Is this a good idea or is there a better way to keep the heat in the shop?
    Your suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob...

If the filter for the DC is hanging into the shop, I would advise that you consider that most of the noise from a cyclone comes through the filter. I built a closet to enclose the entire DCw/filter with a return to the shop air duct that has a noise baffle. The noise has been reduced from about 85 db to the low 60s and I haven't yet finished all the insulation.

As for the layout, if you are not bolting anything down, my guess is that you will find your own preferences depending on how you order your work and movement patterns around the shop. You have a pretty good footprint to work with. Keeping your sheet goods cutter close to the entrance the sheets goods will make into the shop is always a good idea unless you like to carry and ding heavy and clumsy plywood off of stationary shop tools.

I ran one 7" pipe across the back wall of the shop and another sort of on a diagonal toward the front door. The back wall has three 6" drops and the front currently has one drop at the end of the run. I will add an intermediate drop when I get around to getting more fittings. That arrangement will work for me pretty well since all tools are on wheels anyway.

...Bob

Blog Entries
    It would seem to me that the bandsaw will get in the way when you are using your planer. If that was a jointer-planer you would be able to work from the other side. For now you have to walk around the jointer or squeeze the workpiece and yourself back between the planer/bandsaw gap.

In the perspective drawing it looks like the table saw is offset from the doors. If you are cutting long material, it is nice to have doors open for saw access.

Detail - I usually go TS > Jonter > planer > CMS to trim > assembly bench.

flip-flop jointer and planer?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Can you move the sink and toilet down to the corner or place them along the back wall? I think this will give you some more room and open floor space.

While a toilet is nice, how far will the shop be from the closets one in the house? The property tax assessor really likes bathrooms installed.

I would mount the BS and the drum sander to mobile bases so they can be moved. If possible, also do the same for the lathe -- store it against the wall and free up more floor space.

As one poster mentioned, allow access for long boards or sheet goods to exit the saw via the double doors in needed.

I 'dunno' how cold the winters are in OK, but if you leave the DC filter in the shop, the warmer air stays in the shop. You could “box-it-in“, leaving vents for the air to escape. If it is completely moved to other side of the wall, I think you will be heating your garage.

Insulate the "bee-gee-zus" out of the addition, inc. the slab/floor. Heating and cooling aren’t getting cheaper.

Mount all electrical outlets 48-52” above the floor so they will not be covered up by sheet goods. Good lighting is a must. It is always cheaper and easier to install good lighting, electrical, and insulation during construction than trying to do it after the walls are up and finished. White walls and ceiling will reflect light.

Where is the electrical service panel? I ‘dunno’ if you weld or ‘evva’ thought of one, but think ’bout a dedicated outlet for a welder.

If hanging cabinets on the wall, use a French cleat so they can easily be moved to another wall or shifted.

You will have a nice large shop no doubt. Adequate and safe dust collection is very important. Exposure to the amount of dust home woodworkers encounter is hazardous. If I was going to the lengths you are I would design the DC so that none of it's exhaust enters living or working space. Totally enclose the DC in a closet that vents to the outside. My future plans for a shop include an external utility area that would be nicely concealed and gaited (it would even be incorporated into the roof structure), that would house my DC and the exhaust fan and venturi for the spray booth.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 03-02-2010 at 7:03 PM.

I'm jealous.

Ditto the mobile bases.

Ditto flipping the Jointer and Planer. Maybe even nest the jointer next to the rt end of the tablesaw so you can easily work stock between the two machines. Make or buy yourself a couple of carts for stacking/moving stock/parts around.

Have you got sheet storage?

Can you put a double door at the garage connection? (maybe overhead or sliding?).

Looks good. A shop certainly evolves over time, but you can get close by giving a lot of consideration and running it by others before the work is done. Save yourself a lot of time and $ if you get it as close as possible in the first place. Especially if you're buying spiral pipe for DC.

-kg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    Bob...

If the filter for the DC is hanging into the shop, I would advise that you consider that most of the noise from a cyclone comes through the filter. I built a closet to enclose the entire DCw/filter with a return to the shop air duct that has a noise baffle. The noise has been reduced from about 85 db to the low 60s and I haven't yet finished all the insulation.

...Bob
    Bob, I wasn't thinking about the noise factor; I was just thinking about keeping the heat or cool in the shop. I think you are right, I probably should enclose the DC and keep the filter in the enclosure. How are you making your noise baffle? Bob V.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    Bob, I wasn't thinking about the noise factor; I was just thinking about keeping the heat or cool in the shop. I think you are right, I probably should enclose the DC and keep the filter in the enclosure. How are you making your noise baffle? Bob V.
    Bob...

I'll take a few photos of my closet setup and email them to you.

..Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    It would seem to me that the bandsaw will get in the way when you are using your planer. If that was a jointer-planer you would be able to work from the other side. For now you have to walk around the jointer or squeeze the workpiece and yourself back between the planer/bandsaw gap.
    Greg, I think you are right, it only measures a little over 2' between them. I will have to tweak that spacing. I don't have either a jointer or planer right now (other than a lunch box planer). I will have to take a look at a combo machine.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    In the perspective drawing it looks like the table saw is offset from the doors. If you are cutting long material, it is nice to have doors open for saw access.
    David, I think that is just because of the angle of that drawing. In the plan view, I think I have it lined up with the door. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Detail - I usually go TS > Jonter > planer > CMS to trim > assembly bench.
    flip-flop jointer and planer?
    Kent, I was thinking lumber rack, CMS to rough lengths, jointer, planer, table saw. But, I'm not sure how much rough lumber I will work with. Thanks for the thoughts.

Why 45'6"? That seems like an odd length. If you build in multiples of 4' it is more economical. As for the location of your tools I would just use a hose from your dust collector until you have had a chance to use the shop. You will change the location of the tools once you get a feel for the space!

Bob...

The baffle is just a box I built out of 3/4" plywood. It has two open faces. One butts up against the opening over the door where there is a filter and the other open face points straight up. Inside are two (I think) slats that are opposite each other that cause airflow to change direction so that sound waves will be broken up as the air seeks to get out of the closet and into the shop. So far, it works pretty well. I'm still experimenting with maximum air flow, but I think I'm really playing around the margins as each drop seems to want to suck my arm up. Hopefully the photos will help with the baffle arrangement. The walls of the closet are insulated and have 1/4" pegboard with the rough side toward the sound source. It really quiets down the cyclone. The compressor was already pretty quiet and I see less noise reduction there. I think I need to get it off the raised wood floor. That's where the remaining noise comes into the shop at the moment; up from the shop floor.

The ductwork is 7" snaplock and long radius elbows along the back wall, The wye that heads off to the fron of the shop is necked down to 6". When I order another 6x6x6 wye, I'll add another drop in the middle of the run to the front. I would strongly suggest not skimping on elbows. Long radius turns are important as the short radius stuff can become the single most significant limiting factor in the system.

The shop is pretty cluttered what with finally finishing up the DC and compressed air systems. In addition, I got rid off several sheet metal shelf units that were holding things just for the sake of holding them. I've decided that everything I need in the shop will reside on the two chrome shelves that survived the pillage. In the meantime, surviving stuff is sitting on any flat surface I can find until things get assigned a place.

If the baffle doesn't make sense, let me know and I will clarify.

...Bob

A few pictures didn't transfer in the last message...

BTW, I painted the baffle box with a sound deadening material that is often used to quiet down car sheet metal for audio installs. I used it for the interior pan and trunk in my Honda S2000 which was otherwise a pretty noisy ride (unstock exhaust system).
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 03-03-2010 at 4:34 PM.

Here is my 2 cents. Instead of putting 2 french doors in the new shop area put them in the joining wall between the new shop and the existing garage. This will give you more wall area and you can always open the garage door to get big items in and out. This will eliminate the cost of one door as well. Andy
    McCormick Woodworking
    Liberty Indiana 47353