Thread: Ideas for non-Permanent Wall for shop?

Ideas for non-Permanent Wall for shop?

I am thinking of putting up some type of "wall" in my shop to partition it so saw dust and such doesn't get in to the other part of the detached garage which is a storage space.
    I was thinking of thick plastic sheeting, but I am afraid it might look tacky.
    Has anyone done something similar?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scott View Post
    I am thinking of putting up some type of "wall" in my shop to partition it so saw dust and such doesn't get in to the other part of the detached garage which is a storage space.
    I was thinking of thick plastic sheeting, but I am afraid it might look tacky.
    Has anyone done something similar?
    Thanks
    No, but the cheapest way I could think of doing it woudl be to get vertical blinds.

A couple of my sons used heavy plastic sheeting for walls when they needed a temporary spray paint booth. When it comes to function tacky does not enter into the picture especially if it is temporary.
    I frequently use 1" rigid foam board insulation for temporary partitions. On occasion I have used the blue tarps as temporary walls, they work well too.
    David B

Accordion style theater flats (1x3 frame/stretched cotton duck cloth). Self-standing, cheap, light, paintable and stowable.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

You'll probably also tear plastic sheeting pretty quick.

How about a 2x4 wall sheeted in ply or OSB? Screw the sheeting in place and you can easily take it down later and even reuse the materials. Put tapcons in every few feet so you can get them out later at the bottom. You can even save some materials and go 24" OC with the studs if you aren't going to hang much weight off of it.

How about shoji screens? You could hang them from the ceiling with bi-pass closet door hardware so they can be slid out of the way to access your storage area.

Blog Entries
    I've seen thick plastic sheeting used in this way: Use a piece of pvc to wrap the plastic around.. when not in use, you can roll the entire sheet out of the way up to the ceiling to reduce the "tacky" effect. When needed, you let it roll down again and the pvc will weight it down to the floor. Cheap and effective solution.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

How about a curtain on a roller track - like they between beds at the hospital. This'll prevent big stuff from getting to the other side. You can then run an ambient air cleaner - or just leave the door open with a large fan for a while after each session to blow out the fine dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    How about a curtain on a roller track - like they between beds at the hospital. This'll prevent big stuff from getting to the other side. You can then run an ambient air cleaner - or just leave the door open with a large fan for a while after each session to blow out the fine dust.
    +1

I tracked this place down when I was thinking about ways of creating a cheap spray area in my shop:

http://www.medicalproductsdirect.com...cyscreens.html

Plastic or canvas tarp material with cheap shower hooks on wire. Just make a big shower curtain, you could be cheap and cheesy with blue plastic tarp material or as nice as you like with all types of fabric.

Styrofoam

I did something very similar to what you are wanting to do. We added an addition on to our house several hears back. We tore off a a small bump out to serve as the entry way into the addition. To keep the noise and dust from the construction out of the house, I framed a convetional wall out of 2 x 4's, leaving it 1/2 inch shorter from floor to cieling, and 1/4 shorter from wall to wall. I used shims to make a friction fit and tacked styrofoam sheathing. I used 2"" because we wanted to keep the noise out. For this application, I'd suggest 1/2 or 3/4". You can paint the styrofoam, and it will look remarkably like a standard wall.

When we were ready to take the wall down, it was very easy to dis-assemble. Are you thinking you want to take this down if/when it comes time to sell the house? Or are you planning to have it up and down inbetween projects. If the later, then you might want to make it in 4x8 panels. Of course then you have to store the panels. Let us know what you decide to do.

I had a similar problem in my basement and didn't care too much about "tacky"

I ran a few 10' pieces of EMT conduit screwed to floor joist on ends. Then, very easily, cut plastic sheeting straight off the roll to length.. folded over ends, hole punched, placed a shower curtain ring.. One about every 12" or so. This was really quick and pretty cheap, and I can pull the whole thing to the side and open up the area when I need to.

Whenever I need to separate an area I use "3rd-hands". I picked mine up at WC when they had everything on sale. They are made by Fastcap. A couple of these and a roll of poly and you can put up and take down in minutes. They expand from 5' up to 12'.

Rob

What i did was use a 1/8 in. cable across the garage close to the ceiling two screw in eye bolts, one on each one side..I put a turnbuckle to tighten it real tight, Then i hung a blue tarp on s hooks worked good for a temperary dust fix exactly like the hospital track idea ,,cost about 40 50 dollars for the whole thing and worked so as i could open and close the area.. when i finaly decided to make it more permanent i used the OSB idea studs and bolted it to the floor just depends how temperary you want it LD