Thread: Need mobile base ideas for drill press...

Need mobile base ideas for drill press...

I've built a few mobile bases and carts for my various shop machines, but I need one for my new RIDGID floor-mounted drill press and I'm a bit stumped on building this one.

I want the overall height of the machine raised about 6" max. I have some casters that are 4-1/4" tall overall (both wheel and bracket), which only leaves me 1-3/4" for the actual base/platform.

I thought about just gluing and screwing a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood together for a 1-1/2" platform and then bolting the casters to that. Would that be stiff enough?

Jason

I have the Ridgid drill press and that's pretty much what I did. Took 3/4" plywood and put 2 1/2" casters on it. Then bolted the drill press to that. My casters lock and it works fine. I don't have any rocking or wobbling but I only raised mine a little over 3" and the base is 15" X 20". You might want to make your base a little wider if you're going up 6" to prevent tipping

Base for drill press

I did pretty much same thing for my Ryobi 12 inch drill press. Basically, made a dolly for 15" x 22" x 3/4" plywood and bolted the machine on it. No additional raising. The problem with drill presses is that the bilk of its weight is on the top (where motor and gears are located) so raising the machine requires proportionally widening the base to avoid the tipping. I had to fit this puppy within 16" space in my garage. I usually get chair when I want to use it (so no need to bend the back).

Jason,

Yep, two pieces of 3/4" ply laminated together should be plenty strong and rigid. I have something kinda similar for my Delta DP only I made something to keep it as low to the floor as possible: 4 pieces of 3/4" ply laminated with the center hogged out to allow the DP foot to sit on a single piece of 3/4" ply (i.e. I hogged down 2 1/4" or the depth of 3 sheets of 3/4" ply).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Grizzley makes one ..

Grizzly makes a mobile base that's adjustable and keeps the base close to the floor.

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/product...le-Base/G7315Z

Just a thought...a bit pricey though.

One problem with the Griz base (and Shop Fox and possibly others) is that the footprint of the DP is often too small to fit within the minimum size that the base can adjust.

I tried a mobile base for a drill press but never felt comfortable moving it -- always felt a bit "tipsy." I finally gave up and put strips of UHMW tape on the base bottom and just slide it to/from storage spot (I do have concrete shop floor which makes the sliding a bit easier).

Doesn't work for this case, but I have a Bench Mounter Drill press and I took a piece of counter top and put it on a dented cheap craftsman lower tool box and it is very stable and works great. It then mounted my bench grinder to the same. I won't help Jason, but maybe some else can spring board off this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McFarland View Post
    I tried a mobile base for a drill press but never felt comfortable moving it -- always felt a bit "tipsy." I finally gave up and put strips of UHMW tape on the base bottom and just slide it to/from storage spot (I do have concrete shop floor which makes the sliding a bit easier).
    Excellent point, Jim: DPs are incredibly top heavy! My mobile base greatly expands the original footprint of my Delta DP and large diameter wheels/casters help smooth it along better vs. smaller diameter wheels/casters. However, even with all that, one still needs to be conscientious while moving the DP around.

Blog Entries
    Here's what I did. I live in earthquake country.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

BTW, I used that HTC universal base because I had it, don't move the DP often and it ain't worth the powder to blow it up. The ShopFox on my bandsaw isn't much better. I have yet to see a really good mobile base for anywhere near the price I would pay. Shop made is probably the way to go here but, the ballast base may still make sense for you. Don't go cheap on your casters, you'll curse yourself till you change them ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-04-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I actually like your solution a lot, Glenn. I especially like the idea of putting some sand or stone in the box for a ballast.

Thanks for sharing!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Here's what I did. I live in earthquake country.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

BTW, I used that HTC universal base because I had it, don't move the DP often and it ain't worth the powder to blow it up. The ShopFox on my bandsaw isn't much better. I have yet to see a really good mobile base for anywhere near the price I would pay. Shop made is probably the way to go here but, the ballast base may still make sense for you. Don't go cheap on your casters, you'll curse yourself till you change them ;-)

Chris, could you please post a picture of your setup?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Excellent point, Jim: DPs are incredibly top heavy! My mobile base greatly expands the original footprint of my Delta DP and large diameter wheels/casters help smooth it along better vs. smaller diameter wheels/casters. However, even with all that, one still needs to be conscientious while moving the DP around.