Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!

I waxed my table saw top and was going to wait 5 minutes to wipe down. I got sidetracked and let it dry for 2 hours. Now I cannot get it off! I've tried steel wood with more wax but am still having trouble. Any help on this problem!

Thanks

WD40 or mineral spirits should take it right off. Any solvent should work.

You should be able to sand through that wax quite easily using a 600 grit or better paper.

Or if you prefer, isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) should melt the wax.
    The alcohol will probably leave streaks though.

Personally, I'd probably just heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and then buff it like I normally would have...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Personally, I'd probably just heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and then buff it like I normally would have...
    Sometimes the simple answer is the best answer!

The TS is now COMPLETELY useless! You should sell it. Definitely sell it. Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll give you $100 to take it off your hands...since it can't be used anymore. Wow, I'm so nice...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    +1 on the heat. When I put wax on my table tops I use a heat gun to melt it into the surface before buffing it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

A little bird told me to never apply straight canubu wax to a full size van and let it sit too long many years ago when I was younger. You have your answers to this simple problem compared to that.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

40 years ago when I was 16, I waxed my first used car. Waxed the whole car, was called to supper, watched a TV show and when out to remove the wax. That car still had some wax on it when I sold it a few years later. I feel your pain.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Dave has it: Mineral Spirits...it should redissolve the wax....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

It's a sawstop. I would have to ask for at least $125

I have hear if you apply more wax it will dissolve what has hardened - may want to try this first. BTW - I has left wax on too long and found it disappears in no time if the saw gets used.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Davis View Post
    It's a sawstop. I would have to ask for at least $125
    No way! 100 bucks max!

Wow! I definetely feel for you. Razor blade and use it as a scraper. Personally, I'd stay away from any sandpaper on MY SS. They go through a lot to make that table flat. Sanding is out of the question for fixing my top.

Just my $.02.

When I have had this happen I just put more wax on, and then buffed out.. worked fine..
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I always let johnson's past wax completely dry over night before I take it off. Then I buff it with a bath or hand towel. The roughness of the hand towel and some elbow grease will get it off. But the wax protects better that way. I had have problems in the spring hear when the air is so thick it is like pea soup. A good heavy coat of wax buffed out like that, and my cross cut sled over it takes care of any problems now.