Thread: Newbie Shop Advice

Newbie Shop Advice

Looking for experienced advice on a couple of things. First, any thoughts on a good location for a cyclone based on the attached drawing. The large white box on the rear wall of the first drawing is the approximate foot print for an oneida 3hp SDG w/55gal drum. Second, any thoughts on how to accomodate future spraying capability. I saw where someone used larger painter's tarps on the floor and 3 lightweight insulation boards to create a temp booth to contain overspray--any other suggestion (also open to placing an exhaust fan but not clear where it should be located).

Center of the room has a PM66 with a delta 3hp shaper sitting on the back side of the extension table. On the right wall are cabinets (will run cleats around the room) and a delta DJ-20. The two angled walls at the front entrance have a Rikon 18" BS and a delta 16" DP. Have to find a place for a Delta 15" planer, delta sanding center and a dewalt scroll saw on a stand. Thinking about building a SCMS center on the wall over the DJ-20 with lumber storage over that. The yellow cylinder to the left by the door is my attempt at an Ingersoll Rand garagemate compressor.

The shape of the room is fixed as the footers and block wall for the foundation are in. The contractor is about to order wood for the framing so I thought I'd try to ensure that I had a fairly good idea of a starting layout (knowing that stuff always changes). Oh, the wall height is 11.5'.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Workshop (958 x 506).jpg

Blog Entries
    With that room height you'll be OK with ceiling mounted ductwork. I assume that's the way you'll go as your DC is on the opposite side of the room from your tools(?). Good use of the angled walls with your tool selection for those positions. My DP is cornered-in and I rarely find I have to move it to accommodate length but, that's me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A few thoughts in looking at your setup. Your planer and scrollsaw could be parked on the wall between your sink and proposed dust collector area. Mobile bases will help, definitely for the planer. A spray booth could go on the wall to the right of the dust collector. If you had it fold up (sides fold together and top comes down to hold it against the wall) then it wouldn't take up much space and youcould even park things in front of it when it's not in use. If that wall behind it lead to the exterior, you could put a fan through the wall, being sure it is OK for a spray booth application.

I have used plastic sheeting to reduce ambient dust. It's a pain but it works way better than nothing.

There is nothing like a dedicated room. I have one in my dirty, dusty, damp, cellar that I intend to sheet-rock, dehumidify, paint, and dedicate to coatings. The only question is when will I follow through on my intentions.

Till then it's plastic sheeting.

All the equipment is mobile (current space requires me to roll stuff out to use it). Thinking about moving the jointer next to the table saw and shaper--that way, they can share a common collector feed and it will keep the jointer at the ready. For now, I will probably go with a fold out wall arrangement at the back of the shop for any spraying (picked up a Fuji Q4 during the last amazon deal). Anyone feed power through a slab to a center of the room--thinking I should pull 110/220 to a floor outlet.

Thanks for the feedback--this site is an excellent resource.

Blog Entries
    I have a concern with the TS/Shaper setup. Wouldn't it be quite a pain to remove all the stuff sticking up above the shaper table (fence, cutter head, etc) if you wanted to cut wide sheet goods or anything that required to set the TS fence wide? Then even if you could clear all that stuff away it seems to me that an extension table that matched the width of the shaper would be a very nice addition.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.