Thread: Help please

Question Help please

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the laser world...just purchased and epilog zing 24....using Corel Draw 11....have existing sign business with roland vinyl cutter...would appreciate any tips for beginners...have just been experimenting a little so far.
    Thanks!!!
    Epilog Zing 24, Corel Draw 11

Your best resource is right here , spend a few weeks reading the boards and you will get tons of ideas and lots of tips.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Welcome on board, Karen! I just repeat one of my post an another forum -may be will help you.
    Newby ask:
    The areas I am planning on targeting are:
    • pet memorials on granite and marble
    • decorative signage-cabin and beach house signs
    • custom house number signs

I plan on using the Internet and eBay to find my customers. My concern is the amount of time it may take to get a steady stream of income so I would like to get some suggestions on more "bread and butter" type items that could get moving quickly.

There are so many options, I'd like to get some opinions on what is a good product line to start with.
    • CerMark
    • ADA signs
    • acrylic awards
    • AlumaMark
    • rubber stamps

And my answer was:
    1) Here I explained him difference betweenSynrad and glass tube - not actual for you - deleted
    2) About possible jobs:
    - pet memorials on granite and marble - perfect with SYNRAD, not reccomended with GLASS (but best way buy from me impact engraver )
    - decorative signage-cabin and beach house signs - will be perfect with both SYNRAD and GLASS
    - custom house number signs - will be perfect with both SYNRAD and GLASS

3) Not bad idea use Internet and eBay but my first advice to all my customer is do following.
    - print full color business card or make A5 black/white very simple advertising flyer
    - set 30 miles circle around you location
    - find local post offices serving this area
    - visit each post office, find persons who deliver post to postbox, ask them distribute your cards/flyers for extra $20-30 (it works well in Eastern Europe but may be you need official payment to post account in USA )
    - business cards - for private houses - ideas ENGRAVING ON GIFTS, HOME DECORATIONS, SOUVENIRS, WE ARE NOT FAR FROM YOU, VISIT US AND HAVE 5% DISCOUNT.
    flyers - for offices - idea - WE ARE CLOSE TO YOU, WE CAN VISIT YOU, BUSINESS GIFTS, STAMPS, INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS, CUTTING

4) Showroom
    First of all think about showroom. Ability show samples "live" is vital. Private customers will visit your office very often for urgent engraving. While you will engrave order, they must spend this time looking on other your possibilities. We have some sample CDR files on our site http://www.litografa.lt/index.php?aid=240
    They are on Russian, Polish, Lithuanian languages but you can change lettering into English.
    Peoples love wood engraving - visit nearest Walmart for different kitchen items from wood and use them as samples after engraving

5) Agents
    There is good possibility to catch jobs - use local signshops and printshops as agents. What our customers use - they make from PVC displays 60x60 cm with engraving samples and provide for free to agents.

6) Suppliers
    Choose main and two supporting suppliers of materials. JDS is perfect (do not forget say to Scott about my reference ). But better have 2-3 supporting companies with next day delivery to you (Johnson Plastics, Laserbits and somebody else). Ask them for catalogs and samples.

7) Internet site
    Where are you located, contact info. Samples of laser works. If you will do stamps - better show on site pictures of stamp furniture and size of stamps print.

8) Other materials
    * CerMark - good for SYNRAD, possible quality problems with GLASS. Try to keep them always on stock.
    * ADA signs - not familiar very well, as this is not popular in Europe
    * acrylic awards - good for SYNRAD, possible quality problems with GLASS. JDS have good choice, but also contact with Huang Acrylics and Acrylic Ideas Factory. Make a set of 20-30 designs and try to keep them ALWAYS on stock in 40-50 pcs quantity. All other designs you can have as one sample for showing and order them from supplier with next day delivery is necessary.
    * AlumaMark - good for SYNRAD, possible quality problems with GLASS. Do not forget about guilliotine shear and corner cutter. Most popular is Satin Silver, Satin Gold. All other not so popular.
    * rubber stamps - good for SYNRAD, possible quality problems with GLASS. Millenium Marking is reliable supplier. Take care on rubber - usual rubber smell extremely strong . Stamps ARE GOOD!! Everyday you have $10-15 cash

3M films for laser engraving - good for SYNRAD, impossible with GLASS. Security applications, not removable stickers. Difficult find customers BUT if you will find - you will have stabile income for years.

When you will have laser, will understand better laser possibilities, will have free time - take yellow pages, start from A and ask "What I can offer to this business?"
    Auto - auto stickers, panels for car tuning, non-removable stickers, stencils and etc.
    Box -cutting of cardboard for packagins, die-cut forms and etc.

Of course answer was based on my European experience, but may be something will be helpful for you also. Good luck!
    Last edited by Viktor Voroncov; 03-06-2010 at 2:58 PM.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Thanks Viktor,
    I am sharing a storefront with a stained glass artist...have exisiting sign business and been etching using a stencil and cream method for two years...so I have quite a few customers interested already...
    I want to do glassware, have ordered the rotary attachment....and mirrors have been very popular with my sign busieness...ie..sports team logos, corporate logos etc.
    I also plan on etching on wood....so many possiblities, so have to see what works for me.
    Karen

Look on Cermark products for glass/ceramics in this case. And read here and on Laserbits site about glass engraving tips.

Attached is idea of custom mirror. Material is mirrored acrylic glass/plastic (I hope available from Johnson Plastics).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Viktor Voroncov; 03-06-2010 at 3:27 PM.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Rodne,
    Just found your post of 30 things you need to know, thought it was good.....have been searching this site for two weeks (waiting for my machine to arrive) and have come across lots of ideas and tips..
    thanks,
    Karen

Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher