Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointer and 15" Planer -Delta or General?

Question 8" Jointer and 15" Planer -Delta or General?

I have decided to get an 8" jointer and a 15" planer for my shop, and now I am trying to pick the which ones to buy.

There is a dealer nearby (Markham Industrial) who sells, delivers, sets-up, and services both Delta and General (as well as some cheaper lines such as King Canada). I will probably purchase the machinery from them.

So, now I need to decide which ones to buy.

My 8" jointer choices are between:

General International 80-200

Delta X5 37-365X

My 15" planer choices are between:

General International 30-115

Delta X5 22-780X

Please give me any information and/or opinions that will help me to choose!

I guess a fancy/schmancy European combo machine isn't in the cards so I won't bother with the pic...you know where the pic is anyway!

Are the prices about the same for the Delta and General? You didn't list those. If your funds can handle it, you might consider bumping up the size of your jointer but I think you have some good choices and a (good?) dealer to work with.

Do you have rough footprints of these to place in your shop diagram? I guess since you have the shop mostly done, you could just put tape on the floor.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I guess a fancy/schmancy European combo machine isn't in the cards so I won't bother with the pic...you know where the pic is anyway!
    Correct, I don't think that such a machine is in the cards

Are the prices about the same for the Delta and General? You didn't list those. If your funds can handle it, you might consider bumping up the size of your jointer but I think you have some good choices and a (good?) dealer to work with.
    I already bumped up from 6" to 8". The Deltas are slightly cheaper and their warrenties are better (5 years rather than 2). The dealer has a good reputation. I have only very limited experience with the dealer.

Do you have rough footprints of these to place in your shop diagram? I guess since you have the shop mostly done, you could just put tape on the floor.
    Good idea about placing tape on the floor.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 11-03-2004 at 1:32 PM.

Frank, can't say about the General, though I've heard good stuff about General. I can, however, give a big "thumbs up" on the DJ-20! Except for probably Mark B., us poor folks here in WI can't afford the fancy Euro machines and the DJ-20 is as close as I could come to one and still have a few bucks left over for wood! Basically, the tables adjust to the cutterhead in the same manner as the popular (and very expen$ive) Euro rigs.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Frank, can't say about the General, though I've heard good stuff about General. I can, however, give a big "thumbs up" on the DJ-20! Except for probably Mark B., us poor folks here in WI can't afford the fancy Euro machines and the DJ-20 is as close as I could come to one and still have a few bucks left over for wood! Basically, the tables adjust to the cutterhead in the same manner as the popular (and very expen$ive) Euro rigs.
    What is the DJ-20?

I guess it also comes down to do you want to support a Canadian company versus a US Company.

I don't own either, but I am thoruoughly impressed with the quantity of the General tools. The reviews I have seen put at the top or near it on all reviews.

Delta is Delta, been around forever.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

What about King Canada, do they make an 8" jointer? The GI is a Geetech (same casting as Jet, Grizzly, Bridgewood, Sunhill, etc., but with different base, motor, switch). I wonder if the King Canada is the same. I guess the tradeoff would be an Asian motor (not sure what the GI has). Each of these brands has some variant of bed extensions and 3/4 knife cutterheads also.

The DJ-20 is a different beast. Take a good look at the back of the fence and see how far out you have to keep it from walls. I know the other Delta has a big bar that sticks out the back. So, depending on your layout, it may be a factor.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Delta is real good about standing behind thier stuff and they carry parts for them.
    Makes a real big deal if you are going to own them for many years.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

2nd the DJ20

I have a used DJ20 (Delta 8 inch jointer, it's the same one that Norm uses, if that makes any difference...) that I like a lot. Way better than my old Jet 6" jointer.
    I have the closed base 15" Jet planer, and I'm very happy with it, mostly because I got a great deal on it. I might have chosen another brand with the same kind of deal.
    Ed

Hi Frank:
    Everytime I go to my local woodworkers store, I drool over the General equipment. This place sells Delta, Powermatic, General and a couple other brands. They recommend General over the others. Less expensive than Powermatic and more substantial construction over the Delta stuff.

Happy Buying!
    Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I've got that Delta model and...

I moved up from the 6" version to the 8" one, but wished I hadn't traded in the smaller one.(nothing like having two of everything).
    I have the 365 that was made in Brazil, the X5's are Chinese made. The 365 is NOT a DJ20.
    Mine was not setup out of the box & I still don't think that I've got all 3 knives exactly the same height. (but it makes wedges very quickly)
    The infeed table adjuster lever is not the same as what's on the 6" (no triggerlock) and the knob on the outfeed side is difficult to work with, I'd prefer a handwheel. It vibrated somewhat on the concrete floor, which is by no means level and there are no pads/adjustable feet on the base cabinet.
    I was supposed to get the mobile base when I picked up the machine, but as my luck turns out it was on backorder for a month or so. Once I got it on the mobile base I was able to level the base & the vibrations have gone away. Sad to say the holes in the base cab & the mobile base did NOT line up so it's just setting on it. I'm guessing the holes would match the DJ20.
    I really like the rack & pinion fence and the 'elevated' switch, but it does change the footprint as it sticks out & up. Not a problem for me, but something you may want consider.
    Do I like it? Yes, would I buy it again? No, I think I'd be happier with the 6" & save my $$ for a twelve. Or get either the Jet 8" or a DJ20, both of which would require running 220 to that side of the shop.
    Make a story stick, then cut it. It's easier than doing all the math!

Frank. There are a few other bonuses going with Delta. They are offering free tools with the purchase of X5 equipment, coupons, and rebates. The five year warranty also sells, but I am not sure if that covers both labor and parts.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Frank, the 37-365X is a DJ20. The DJ20 has the great parallelogram table design and is about 15 to 20% cheaper (at least in my neck of the woods). It also comes with a freebie gift. The DJ20 seeems to be the standard for 8 inch jointers so resale value in the future will be assured if you wish to upsize. If you wish to economize check out the King Industrial KC-80FX. It appears to be a clone of the DJ20. I have the King KC-70FX (DJ-15 clone) and IMHO it's good value for the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shadow
    I have the 365 that was made in Brazil, the X5's are Chinese made. The 365 is NOT a DJ20....
    According ti the Delta web site the 37-365X is the DJ20. Why do they need so many numbers?

DOH! I fat fingered that one

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    According ti the Delta web site the 37-365X is the DJ20. Why do they need so many numbers?
    You are correct Sir, I should have typed 380, I reckon it's my dyslexic fingers.
    Prior to the X5 family the only number for the DJ20 was DJ20, and the other models were 37-something. I guess all the numbers are so the marketing guys can confuse us!

As I stated later in my post I considered getting a DJ20 but the 220V motor was the issue. It's a great machine and does not have the rack & pinion fence, so the footprint is not as large on the back side of the fence. And as someone else pointed out it has the parralleogram bed, which is much nicer (read easier to adjust) than the bed on the model I have.
    I apologize for the confusion & can only suggest that you go for a hands on visit so you can actully see/feel the differences in the machines you are considering.
    Make a story stick, then cut it. It's easier than doing all the math!