Thread: Shop Remodel - Question of the week #1 - Tool Covers?

Shop Remodel - Question of the week #1 - Tool Covers?

I have a 20x20 detached, unheated, concrete block garage that has been my shop for the past 16 years. The shop has evolved over this time with little or no planning. I have decided that my next, perhaps most ambitious wood working project to-date, needs to be a shop remodel. Here are my immediate priorities:
    1) Heat; therefore insulation
    2) Central Dust Collection
    I have several questions I’d like to submit to the collective wisdom and experience of the creek. I thought rather than ask them all at once, I would try a question of the week format. So here goes, with question #1 .
    While I’m doing the remodel, the tools will need to stay in the shop. I cleaned the shop this weekend. I’ve got the dust off the tools. I thought it would be a good idea to cover the floor machines while I do the remodel (table saw, jointer, planer). Thoughts on covers? I have visqueen I could use, or the woven plastic tarps available at home centers. I could probably round up some old bed sheets. Is using one much better or worse than the other? Should I be concerned about possibly trapping moisture under the covers so to speak? I will be doing most of the work myself, so progress will be slow.

I use the HTC tool covers. HTC clearanced these out, about a year ago. Check HTC website, they may be doing this again. Recently, I seen these type of covers, for a very reasonable price, but now I can't remember where. Maybe someone else can help with that.

These tool covers breathe, and are waterproof, and also have magnets to fasten them to the tools. I am very happy with the HTC covers. Otherwise you can use painter's canvas drop cloths. These will protect the tools, and still breathe, to prevent condensation buildup under the tool cover.

But I wouldn't use plastic, for any length of time, especially in the warmer spring, and summer months.

Bill

painters drop cloth, some tyvek house wrap, old sheets. Maybe just throw a couple sheets of plywood on the tablesaw for a good work surface. I've covered stuff with plastic/tarps before and had no problem, but its always been 100% inside and dry inside, no windows or doors open, no chance of moisture coming in.
    Last edited by tyler mckee; 03-07-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Joe,

Unless your going to paint I see no reason to cover them. If painting is in your plans I think some cheap tarps from somewhere like Harborfreight would be just fine. I just did a lot of work on my detached garage and didnt think I would need any of my larger tools either so I just moved them all the the center of the garage. As it turned out I did need them more than I thought I would and if they were covered it would have just been more trouble.

Just my 2 cents.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Tool Cover

Joe, I keep a cotton sheet over my drum sander and scroll saw when not in use, picked them up at Goodwill $5.00 each. When they get dusty, I take them out side and shake off the dust. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Joe, I keep a cotton sheet over my drum sander and scroll saw when not in use, picked them up at Goodwill $5.00 each. When they get dusty, I take them out side and shake off the dust. Just my 2 cents.
    That's a great idea Thomas. Low cost and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Diann made me two machine covers out of flannel sheets. She cut them, and sewed them so that they had sides about 8" deep that keeps them on the machines.

They are really for my cat, who would leave kitty foot prints all over the tables.

Regards, Rod.

I've covered my machines with the HTC covers for several yeras now. Not a bit of rust from the Pacific North Wet rains or as a result of the CA rainy season when I lived there. Of course, I also paste wax the cast iron beds too.

I would not cover any tool with anything that will attract or trap moisture. Did that once....

On a whim, I checked Amazon and found HTC tool covers still advertised. In my experience, HTC covers are the real deal.

Old bed sheets. I also painted so the other tools got covered.

This could be Question 1A - I found it easier to move everything to one side of the shop and completed that side - electric, insulation, covering the walls and ceiling, and paint.

Moved everything to the other side and did the same thing.

Spin on Murphys law applies here - If it's there it will be in the way at some point so try to move it.

Thanks for the feedback. The response was so helpful, that I think I'm ready to move on to the next topic. Who knows this may turn into the question of the day.