Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things I would do differently....

Things I would do differently....

So I'm thinking about my shop, and the things I would do differently if I had it to do again. Here's what I came up with.

1) Would have bought my SawStop with stock fence, and then added a JointTech system with their router lift.

2) Instead of buying a shiny new bandsaw, I would have bought two used bandsaws instead, and dedicated the big one to resawing. I love my 19" saw but I hate replacing blades.

3) I would have very seriously considered a European style slider/combo machine

4) definitely would have sealed the cement floor first....now it will be a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT.

Anyone else have any regrets they'd like to share for us to learn from?

I would have done the electrical BEFORE moving any of my tools in. I am in 1/2 of a 2 car garage and have been scabbing on whenever I need to for outlets. It shows

It's safe, but it could look better.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I would have bought a house with a ground-level shop.

Mike

Need many more outlets in my shop. I didn't plan for nearly enough electrical in general.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya, I'd built a 60x80 garage to house everything in...

I'd have got a larger band saw than the Delta 14" I have, other than that, not really much else, some upgrading on power tools maybe, but nothing that's really needed.

Space and the band saw are pretty much it.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I'm on my second one, and I would have made it bigger, but the lot wouldn't allow for it. Maybe I should have gone two stories.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Disclaimer; we are all different and do different things; my necessities may only be a passing interest to you and vice versa ;-)

+1 on the floor; the move-in schedule slipped and made it "too much trouble right now" . . . yeah, like now its ever gonna happen.
    +1 on electrical, I added way more outlets than I would ever need . . . added one more yesterday.
    +1 on bandsaws, I love having two bandsaws.
    +1 on skip the 'contractor saw', 6" jointer and CMS steps; two have been upgraded at a loss and the CMS hasn't been used for a couple years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post

Mike
    +1 basement here and it sucketh...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

1. Insulated under the concrete slab before the pour.
    2. Insulated the walls and ceiling before placing cabinets, racks, dust
    collection pipes all over the place.
    3. Let a professional pour the slab; not the most level floor and concrete is a
    bear to work with.

I would've spent alot more money when the used market was depressed by all of the other shops going under. Even if it meant going into debt it would've been a good move to spend at least another $20-30k for a few more items. My justification was that I'm completely out of room in my current building and the money would be better spent on a bigger roof. Buying equipment $.10 on the dollar would have been the wiser choice even though it couldn't be immediatly pressed into service.

I would have made my shop bigger. It's a shop/garage 24 X 40 with the shop occupying a 16 x 24 area. I wish I had at least a 24 X 30 workshop. I like space! I would also have had a child whose sole purpose in life was to please his father by cleaning up sawdust Instead, I had a child (son) who is now a teenager and whose apparant sole purpose in life is to come into the shop to ask Dad for money

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holcomb View Post
    Instead, I had a child (son) who is now a teenager and whose apparant sole purpose in life is to come into the shop to ask Dad for money
    I had a T shirt made that read "Bank of Dad"

Regards, Rod.

Let my wife live in the building that is my shop and I would live in the house which I would turn into my shop

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post

Mike
    +1. 17 years ago I never thought my woodworking obsession would ever get to this level. Nevertheless, I'm thankful for the 400 sq ft that I do have and make the most of it.

1. Would have insulated my shop before moving into the house and shop.

2. Would have bought a sawstop 5 years ago instead of progressing through four other saws to get to the sawstop.

3. Would have bought old used drill press off craigslist. Or at least bought the jet locally.

4. Would have talked my wife info putting an addition on the shop instead of remodeling the kitchen.