Thread: Beall buffing system which one?

Question Beall buffing system which one?

I've decided to get a buffing system for my bowls after reading about the great results that all of you get with them. My question is should I get the new 3 buffs on a shaft that fits in the lathe or get the package with the three seperate buffs that you mount one at a time. I know I will also need the bowl buffs for the insides also! It might be nice to have all three already mounted but I wonder if you were working on a larger bowl would the other buffs be in the way? Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Sparky Paessler
    Sparky Paessler

As you have observed it looks as if the three mounted would get in the way of large bowls and plates. I have the individual buffs.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

I, also have the individual buffs. I mount the first on the lathe and the other two stay on a Baldor low speed buffer. I like the system very much.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Another vote for individual buffs unless you only work on small turnings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Sparky

The individual buffs, unless you are focusing on pens and bottle stoppers. The three buffs at once are great for those small projects.

There is a "lathe adaptor" sold by Don Pencile and through Craft Supplies. It threads onto the headstock spindle, extends out 3 3/4" or 8" (get the 8" one) where you thread on the buff. I find this system to be much easier to use and more efective than the MT adaptor for that purpose.

The "Bowl buffs" are much better than the "goblet buffs". The bowl buffs are secured with the same sort of bolt that the wheel buffs are.

http://www.donpencil.com/buffingsystems.htm

Please know that the buffs expell a good deal of fluff while they are breaking in. This is messy and I know I worred that the buff was falling apart. But it is normal and everything will be fine in a few uses.

Good Luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I have the three-wheel setup and think it is great for small items such as I turn. The wheels are too close together to do anything but small open bowls. I tend to have problems trying to buff on one wheel and my hands hitting the adjacent wheel. I have waxed my hands several times.

I also have 2" bowl buffs, but I think 3" would be more versitile. The only problem with the lathe mounted bowl buffs is that the MT does not seem to stay put and tends to spin out on me. I just ordered Don Pencil's spindle adapter for my Jet mini. It should help keep the buffs firmly attached to the headstock and remove the problem of the MT spinouts while doing the interiors of pieces.

My $.02 only, you mileage may vary.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Hi Sparky

I would suggest the individual buffs as well. Most of my stuff is big enough that I can fit the buffs inside the turning to buff it, so the three connected would really get in the way!

BTW, I got your PM, and will be standing by the mailbox!

Bill

I have one other comment regarding the individual buffs. I keep them clean and dust free when not in use with ladies shower caps. Works great on the 8 inch buffing wheels.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks Everyone. You seem to be unanamous on preferring the seperate buffs so that is what I will get. Richard , I will look into that extender for the shaft. Sound like a great idea.

Oh and Bill it's in the car to be shipped in the morning.

Sparky
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 11-04-2004 at 7:01 PM.
    Sparky Paessler