Thread: LION or LYON ?? gulliotine trimmer--what do you know!!

LION or LYON ?? gulliotine trimmer--what do you know!!

Sorry for the bold header, but I've recently acquired a "Guillotine Trimmer"
    The only Knife type, wood shearing trimmer that I'm knowledgeable of, is the
    LION, or the Taiwan knock off, currently available. BUT, yea, BUT the one I
    have acquired from a Uncle is a "LYON" not Lion. Help!! On the front, it says.

UNIVERSAL TRIMMER #3

On the back, also in the casting, it reads

"LYON MACHINE CO. GRAND RAPIDS MICH."

What do you know?? I can't think that this or the Emmert #4 is something I'll put to any good use any time in the future. I live in DE.

Quote Originally Posted by bob andrews View Post
    I can't think that this or the Emmert #4 is something I'll put to any good use any time in the future. I live in DE.
    Send them both to me, then. I'll make the supreme sacrifice and free up that valuable shop space for you. I'll even spring for shipping, just to show how truly benevolent I am. You're welcome.

The history of the "Lion" miter trimmer is long and a bit confusing. It appears to be a version of a trimmer patented (but never manufactured) in 1893 by William Fox of Fox Machine Co. (Peter Dosch was listed as a witness on that patent). Peter Dosch patented his version in 1900. It is uncertain, but Dosch's patent may have been shared by a cousin. The Dosch Machine Company of Mt.Vernon, NY, Thorton, PA, Patterson, NJ, Union, NJ, Bridgeport, CT; the Lion Machine Co. (Dosch's company?), of Bridgeport, CT, Grand Rapids, MI , etc. and others(?) manufactured it until the mid 70's. Another company, Pootatuck, (owned by the cousin?) also produced and branded the design in the early 1900's. The Dosch heirs ceased production in the 70's and Pootatuck ceased just a few years ago. The Chiwanese knock-off sold by Grizzly and Woodcraft is an exact copy.

Jeff McVey an OWWM member is writing a book about it.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.

lyon vs. lion

I Thank you for the info. and the history associated. It seemed odd to me that such a Quality cast peace, would have such a obscured back ground.
    Well I can say, that I spent a good four hours today honing/sharpening the blades. Dammed!! I almost wish I hadn't started that project, not that their 1/4" thick, and profile out to 5/8" on the face, but that their so hard.
    Yesterday I spent hours trucking around town, going from machine shop to machine shop looking for someone with a horizontal grinder to apply a hollow grind with a machinist precision. Well the shop of choice, had their "mag." base give up the ghost, and had no way of maintaining square and true to the stone. The others, thought that hand holding against a belt would be good enough. After all It's just ""WOOD""!! Well their You GO!! I have a Makita, horizontal driven wet stone. But I knew from experience that the set up would take an hour, I've generally kept it set to tighten up joiner and planner knives. Well that hour plus 3 more and it'll shear a 1x2 ash at 1x16", and thinner. Pine, forget it. Bottom Line.. Both, the EmmertU-4 and the "Lyon" (Universal trimmer #3) will be up for sale.. I'm currently rehabbing from a knee replacement, and looking to finish the last two rooms of our home, hope to be on the market by May. These items are big and not part of the diminished future shop plans.
    Look to the classified section in the near future, Ebay,and craigslist/DE.
    Being a old carpenter not a computer wizz, I need to wait for my son to
    coach me through the pic. section of the adds.
    Thank you bob

I have a Lyon,and also the Taiwan knock off.

Do NOT assume that the real item is going to do perfect work. I found that the old Lyon's vertical columns were not very vertical. I had to shim their bases to get a square cut.

I think the Taiwan version seems to be as capable as the old one.

Note: I said TAIWAN,not Chinese. There may be a difference in quality. I got mine years ago when Taiwan was making most of the stuff that China now makes cheaper.

Still around and still sharpening blades.

http://www.lionmitertrimmer.com/parts.htm

Sharp true blades really make it shine when you get it set up correctly. As george said, it might take a bit of tweaking to get everything square, but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Still around and still sharpening blades.

http://www.lionmitertrimmer.com/parts.htm

Sharp true blades really make it shine when you get it set up correctly. As george said, it might take a bit of tweaking to get everything square, but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Mike
    Have you tried to contact them? I read a post over a year ago, and even though their site was still up, a woodworker was unable to contact them for sharpening services. I believe they had a notice on their site, which is not there now. Has anyone tried to contact them recently?

Is it worth $65 to have them sharpen the blades?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

With reasonable skill,anyone should be able to grind the blades. I do not think that hollow grinding is necessary,and might not be as strong an edge as flat grinding. After all,the very cutting edge isn't hollow. It's flat.As long as the blades have real sharp edges,they work just fine. If you look at the knives during a cut,they are tilted a few degrees towards the wood. Otherwise,they'd tend to push the wood away.