Thread: G0703 Cyclone D.C. 1-1/2 HP-2 Stage

G0703 Cyclone D.C. 1-1/2 HP-2 Stage

Has anybody purchased the new Grizzly portable cyclone?

It's an interesting trade-off. With the short cyclone cone, it will pass more dust on to the filter than taller designs. That's why the filter has a beater paddle; it will need more cleaning than taller designs. You get a relatively compact package in return for more maintainance.

Shorter cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    It's an interesting trade-off. With the short cyclone cone, it will pass more dust on to the filter than taller designs. That's why the filter has a beater paddle; it will need more cleaning than taller designs. You get a relatively compact package in return for more maintainance.
    Do you think that the Oneida portable with two cyclones would do any better than the Grizzly at keeping the dust out of the filters?

http://www.oneida-air.com/portable.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    Do you think that the Oneida portable with two cyclones would do any better than the Grizzly at keeping the dust out of the filters?

http://www.oneida-air.com/portable.php
    Probably. But the Oneida is a somewhat different class of machine. It costs 50% more than the Grizzly. It sucks about 50% more cfm. It requires 230 volts, while the Grizzly only needs 115.

DC arms race

Probably. But the Oneida is a somewhat different class of machine. It costs 50% more than the Grizzly. It sucks about 50% more cfm. It requires 230 volts, while the Grizzly only needs 115.
    Funny thing is the DC equipment is just like table saws and band saws et all. You can keep rationalizing the next step up because it offers something better. As soon as I think about spending $1395 for the Oneida portable dual cyclonic, with 1000 cfm, I think why not buy the Oneida V3000 with 1285 cfm for 200 dollars less than the Oneida portable? But suddenly the portability is gone.

Would you be better off skipping the cyclone and doing a JET with cannister filters?

I am working in my basement with 93 inches of headroom, with only about 800 square feet devoted to work shop. I work alone, so one machine at a time is all I need the DC to handle. And my machinery is limited to table saw, 8 inch jointer, 13 inch planer, 17 inch band saw, drill press, Festool TS55, palm sanders, belt sander, and SCMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    Funny thing is the DC equipment is just like table saws and band saws et all. You can keep rationalizing the next step up because it offers something better. As soon as I think about spending $1395 for the Oneida portable dual cyclonic, with 1000 cfm, I think why not buy the Oneida V3000 with 1285 cfm for 200 dollars less than the Oneida portable? But suddenly the portability is gone.

Would you be better off skipping the cyclone and doing a JET with cannister filters?

I am working in my basement with 93 inches of headroom, with only about 800 square feet devoted to work shop. I work alone, so one machine at a time is all I need the DC to handle. And my machinery is limited to table saw, 8 inch jointer, 13 inch planer, 17 inch band saw, drill press, Festool TS55, palm sanders, belt sander, and SCMS.
    Yep, these things have a slippery slope.

I do have a cyclone and duct system now (slippery slope indeed), but for a shop like yours, a drag-around DC is a good choice. I'd be inclined to go for a cannister system. Make sure it has a good method for cleaning the cannister, because all the sawdust goes there. Those Jet ones look good, and Grizzly has some too. You don't need a huge cfm rating either. A real 500 cfm with a short duct will cover one of your machines, and that's all you need.

single stage vs dual stage

Yep, these things have a slippery slope.

I do have a cyclone and duct system now (slippery slope indeed), but for a shop like yours, a drag-around DC is a good choice. I'd be inclined to go for a cannister system. Make sure it has a good method for cleaning the cannister, because all the sawdust goes there. Those Jet ones look good, and Grizzly has some too. You don't need a huge cfm rating either. A real 500 cfm with a short duct will cover one of your machines, and that's all you need.
    Since I don't need a lot of cfm, it sounds like the portables can handle the job. The filters on the portable cyclones look small, while the filters on the single stage look large. Is that because the cyclones can direct most of the fine dust into the bottom and away from the filters? While the single stage machines send the dust up to the filter, neccesitating a large filter in order to keep on working?

Hi Mike, I have a small shop in the basement of a townhouse, and I have a 1.5HP Oneida cyclone.

I hung it from the rafters on vibration isolators, and the motor is partially into the floor joist space due to height restrictions.

I wouldn't go back to a non cyclonic collector, nor would I go back to a portable, I'm lazy, I like opening a blast gate and being done with it.

I know most people use a figure of 400CFM for a table saw, however that's a bit low, and if you want to collect the fine dust, you need over the blade collection which adds about 200 to 300 CFM.

So for a proper job on a table saw, you're in the 700 to 800 CFM range.

Same for a mid sized band saw with two dust ports.

I'd look at installing an Oneida cyclone, or buying the portable, you'll be amazed at what a difference it makes in a shop.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I'm a firm believer in spending a good amount of money once, and getting lasting value from it. That comes from me not following my own advice a few times and later re-doing everything, at substantially more cost.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-11-2010 at 8:36 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

If you are worried about the height of the unit, consider my modification to the Delta 50-760. It's a Wynn filter with a Super Dust Deputy, connected (mostly) with Nordfab duct. My quess is the CFM comes in around 450-500. Decent, but not in the class of my Clear Vue. Not even close.