Thread: Hickory tree value

Hickory tree value

Hi guys,
    I have a Hickory tree that fell over and was wondering if it has any value for lumber? The trunk is 28 inches in diameter and pretty straight. Even the larger limbs are 16 inches in dia. and straight. What do you think?

Sure it does. Find a mobile sawyer and have him come out and saw it up for you. Sticker it and let it dry in the garage. At least that's what I would do.

What Tom said. Hickory is very pretty stuff. If you want to get an idea of board feet, there's a log volume chart at Woodweb. Depending on length, might be a really sweet haul. And, milling your own wood is just plain seriously fun. If you call Woodmizer they will give you a list of folks in your area.

Limbs usually aren't cut up for lumber as they have a lot of differential forces in them. Firewood, or for the grill. Both valuable....

Ken

I would use it.

Two years ago we took down an ash tree in our yard. So far I've made a small bowl (from the stump ) , a child sized rocking chair and soon to be full sized chair.

Have fun.

Bill

My dad's kitchen cabinets, TV/media stand, and fireplace surround are all made from hickory. And the floors in his previous house were also hickory. Very nice stuff, particularly if you like grain variety. I'd check around for sawyer quotes, and am curious myself what the price would be.

nice straight grained hickory is used extensively in bow making as both core material as well as backings. Split out some staves 6 feet long, paint the edges, and let it dry for a year.

Definitely could make lumber from the main trunk. Hickory does make great firewood, but those limbs could be used for turning as well.

About 8 years ago, I went to a local sawmill and purchased a hickory tree (no branches) about 18" diameter at the base and 16 feet long. I did not have it sawn. The guy cut it in half and loaded it in my truck for $30 if that offers any value perspective for you. Hickory trees are very common in my area so that may have a reduced value here.
    Steve

Hickory tree value

Thanks for the perspective gentlemen. I'm not sure where I will put the lumber when its cut up but I guess I'll have it cut up. I checked and found a Amish gentleman with a portable sawmill. I will let you all know what it costs. Thanks again.

Mark, I certainly understand the limitations of storing lumber. Heck, I don't know where I would put all that lumber either! I think I'd lose my garage space for a long time, and probably disrupt the "happy home" in the process . Obviously you are the only one who can decide what is right for your situation.

You don't show your location, but Hickory sells for $3 to $4.50 per board foot in my area (4/4; 6/4 or 8/4, respectively). If I used woodweb's calculator correctly, you could have 300+ board feet in that log.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hultzapple View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a Hickory tree that fell over and was wondering if it has any value for lumber? The trunk is 28 inches in diameter and pretty straight. Even the larger limbs are 16 inches in dia. and straight. What do you think?
    Mark,

I have a sawmill and have cut several hickory logs.

First, the limbs are not lumber quality. As Ken said, they have large forces in them and will warp terribly as they dry and even afterwards. The lumber will not machine well either. Cut the limbs into pieces that you can use in a smoker or on a grill.

Second, how far up the trunk to the first branch? The best lumber comes from the outside of each log, with the bottom log being the best.

Third, if this tree is not from a forest, there is almost 100% probability that there is metal inside it somewhere. The sawmill's blade will find it. If I were cutting it for you, you would pay for each blade ruined by metal inside your log. A single blade for my sawmill costs about $40.

If you were to ask me to cut it, I would have encouraged you to bring the log(s) to me, rather than me bring the saw to you. I don't know what kind of sawmill your sawyer has, but mine is expensive to haul around. It's generally not worth it for just one tree.

Having said all those discouraging words, I still think you should have the tree cut for lumber. That's why I bought my sawmill; I was tired of seeing lumber-quality logs being cut up for firewood. Hickory is hard and strong. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it's pretty wood.

One last thing that I've learned the hard way: Don't try to glue hickory until it's thoroughly dry.

Good luck,
    Loren
    Baker 3667 portable sawmill. Cook's edger. Cutting my own lumber to build a kiln and a shop. Some woodworking & carpentry experience. Delta Unisaw & radial arm saw.

It is absolutly worthless. You should cut in into 12' 6" or 16' 6" sections and bring them to me. They are actually more of a burden to you than anything else. Hey, listen, I'll even throw in a couple of beers for your efforts. I know this is generous of me, cause really, I'm doing YOU a favor here. Just don't take a long time. I can't sit around all day waiting for you. I have other things to do. And again, I'm doing you the favor. So, just drop it off and think of SOMETHING to do with it...

IT IS CERTAINLY WORTH IT TO GET IT MILLED UP! My kitchen cabinets are hickory and my shop floor is hickory. Beautiful, very durable wood...
    I drink, therefore I am.