Thread: Gloat? 12" jointer Grizzly G0609 $800

Gloat? 12" jointer Grizzly G0609 $800

Well I bought it 3-20-10 for $800 off a business closing Link

Got it home. plugged it in and well... a little unsatisfied with the cut of it (snipe, outfeed adjustment, "ugly" shavings, "loosness" of components).

So fast forward to this morning i decide to do the required reading and download the manual. and after reading about adjusting the coplaner of the machine and setting the knives and blaa blaa blaa. i get to the outfeed & infeed max and min sets and jam nuts and think well maybe "they" set it wrong.

well go out to the garage and lossen the screws and now the table raises enough to put it flush with the blades. run some rock maple scrap and whalaa now getting beautiful shavings & no snipe. now to go through the whole thng and tighten everything down.

Question? Is there a way to get the blade guards "spring" back? as you can see in the pic the guard can be pulled back and stay away from the fence.

Opinion. Go the the Shelix for $678 for a total of $1,478 or get a new set of knives

There is no way to fix that spring. Sorry. But I feel bad for you so will give you what you paid for it. muahahaha!

Anyway, all the ones I have seen there are ways to pre-tension the spring. I suggest another go at the manual.
    Salem

On my Ridgid jointer, to adjust the spring on the guard, you can pull up the guard (by removing a screw from below), then turn that arbor by hand to tension the spring a bit and install the guard back while holding the arbor tensioned. (I hope my explanation is a bit more clear than mud!)

Well.

I can't speak for anybody else, but _I_ hate you

Enjoy! A 12" jointer -- rather sadly -- is the stuff of dreams, for many of us!

Question? Is there a way to get the blade guards "spring" back? as you can see in the pic the guard can be pulled back and stay away from the fence.

The procedure for adjusting the tension on the guard is on page 17 of the manual.

Opinion. Go the the Shelix for $678 for a total of $1,478 or get a new set of knives

Absolutely go for the Shelix!!!!!!!

Get the shelix, it will be a great machine

Congrats on the score

I got the x version. But wish I could have got the 4 blade and sprung for the Byrd head on the side. Not sure, but I think the Byrd would cut faster. I am happy with the asian helical, it's just slower at feeding wide stock @ 1/16" cut than my old 3 blade DJ-20 was.
    In the guard, enlarge the bored hole in the aluminum a little. Mine didn't have enough clearance to the steel shaft/spring thing and would bind.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 03-21-2010 at 3:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Very cool Josh. The previous owner's inability to read the manual probably contributed to the price. If the stops were in the wrong position, they may have done that themselves. My 8" version came dead-on right out of the crate. I have the German head that Griz sells and it is sweet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm, wit Neil, I hate you too. As for the shelix, go for it. I would. That is the jointer that I want to get when the time is right. I am going to the tent sale this summer and that is numero uno on the list. We will see what happens.
    Chuck

thanks for the hate :)

Well thanks for the response to the gloat. I have had the "hate" for others gloats. After about a 6-12 months of waiting for the score I get some hate ... YES its my turn

K .. sounds like Shelix is the way to go (plus i hate setting knives)

the same guy has a 20" grizzle planer for $800
    A really nice "Inger-sol Rand t30" compressor for $600

and if i had the space he would not have the old school Grizzly 18" (I think) disk sander. the disk itself is 80lbs. he turned it on and after it was powered off it spun for another 4 min just with the kinetic energy. for $250 (same post as the planer)

On a lot of jointers with that type of guard you have to preload the spring. On mine you loosen the bolt holding it down and turn a flange on the lower part of the housing, once it is a s tight as you can get it by hand you insert a rod or small screwdriver in a hole and spin some more and then tighten the bolt holding it together.
    If that doesn't work call grizzly and see what they say, springs are usually cheap.
    Tom

Get the Byrd head. Plus, you suck...

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Beard View Post
    Get the shelix, it will be a great machine

Congrats on the score
    Totally off topic here Trace, but I love your avatar, man!!
    Last edited by Jack Wilson; 03-21-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

WOW, great find. Wanna come adjust my planer?
    I drink, therefore I am.