Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 110v vs 240v

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The main reason to send out electricity at extremely high voltages is that it saves cost in copper. You more or less said this: higher voltage, lower current...lower current, smaller wires to carry it.
    Chris, you forgot to mention skin effect!

(it's not a good SMC electrical discussion if all the engineers don't severely over-complicate it, right? )

I think where people get in trouble with 120 volt circuits

is they have more on them. For example, table saw, lights, tv. vacuum cleaner running at the same time upstairs etc. 1.5 h.p. motors running at capacity need dedicated circuits, or nearly so. 240 volt circuits tend not to have extra stuff on them. No power strips, 16ga. or 18 ga. extension cords and all the other things we tend to do with 120 volt circuits.

Last year I purchased a Ridgid jointer and table saw. I already had a dedicated 220v line to my shop for my compressor, so I converted both to 220. I knew it wouldn't make the tools more "powerful". I did it so when I turned on shopvacs, lights, etc, it wouldn't place too large a draw on the 110.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

(it's not a good SMC electrical discussion if all the engineers don't severely over-complicate it, right? )
    Excellent point Dan...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

At 60 Hz??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.