Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarasota FL Woodcraft appears to be closed!

Sarasota FL Woodcraft appears to be closed!

I stopped by the Woodcraft store in Sarasota on my way back from Harbor Freight this morning but it appears to be closed. I called the phone number and it is disconnected.

Bummer. I worry about that here and try to support mine as much as possible (much to SWMBO's chagrin!)

From their web site:
    The Sarasota Woodcraft Store is now closed.
    Dear Sarasota Woodcraft Customer,

The Woodcraft store at 4456 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota closed its doors at the end of business on Sunday, February 28, 2010. Unfortunately, this situation occurred very quickly when the franchise owner of the store made the decision to discontinue operations.

We recognize this unplanned closing may be an inconvenience for you, and we assure you Woodcraft’s website and catalog still offer the woodworking tools and supplies you want. In order to fulfill your woodworking needs, we encourage you to shop Woodcraft.com, shop via our product catalog, which you can receive by calling 1-800-542-9115, or visit one of our other retail locations.

There are also two other local Woodcraft stores who would be more than happy to service your woodworking needs both now and well into the future. These are located at 18891 US Highway North in Clearwater and at 3853 Cleveland Ave Suite E in Fort Myers. Either store is only a short drive away.

The monthly advertising flyer for the Sarasota area was already in the mail when this closing came to our attention, but you should know that the items and prices are all valid through mail order, on the internet and at the other stores. You may order by calling 1-800-225-1153 toll free.
    Thank you for your understanding regarding this store closing. We value the business of the Sarasota area residents and hope you’ll continue to shop at Woodcraft for all your woodworking needs. We’ve been here to Help You Make Wood Work for 80 years!

Matt, I guess I should have checked the website. The other two stores are too far for me to drive to. Well I still have Harbor Freight locally.

Both locations are about an hour drive from Sarasota...assuming no traffic issues of course.

No traffic!! I-75 is bumper to bumper with spring breakers now! I will be ordering from the catalog for now.

I have a Woodcraft on the other side of town (1/2 hr drive) but still order via mail. If I place my order by 2 pm it is on my door step at 10am the next day with the regular shipping.

I was told if you wanted to support your local woodcraft you can still place a phone order with them and they will ship out UPS. Same cost.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Our local Woodcraft is moving to a bigger facility where they can display and stock more shop equipment. Hope that means they are doing well and not doing a desperate hail Mary.

I have heard of several going out lately. Ours in Jacksonville seems to be going strong.

I have been in that store a couple of times about a year or so ago, it seemed to only have about 50% of the inventory on a normal WC, and even though I was there on Saturdays it didn't seem to have near the traffic I usually see in one. I hate it for the locals but I don't have a good WWing store within 100 miles so I can relate.

I honestly dont know but I feel our WC here in evansville, in is doing better. I see more people in there each time I go in but really dont pay attention to what they are buying. I find myself going in there more now than before and honestly if I find stuff cheaper on the net say maybe 15 bucks or more cheaper I buy on the net but most of the time I need/want it now so i buy from them.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I think that will happen here in Phoenix area in the near future. The last time I went to the store for some Seal A Cell, there stock was quite depleated and the staff was not very friendly.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Woodcraft seems to be competing with themselves. If I can order from the their internet catalog and get free shipping, why would I drive 60 miles to the store.

Smile For the rush . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    Woodcraft seems to be competing with themselves. If I can order from the their internet catalog and get free shipping, why would I drive 60 miles to the store.
    For the rush experienced by entering a massive tool store . . .

I am a little disgruntled with WOODCRAFT. They seem to have no problem selling franchises to three or four individuals in a 50 mile radius and they sit back and watch one or two slowly go broke. Most of the WOODCRAFT franchisees are "real" woodworkers looking to invest in something they love. They are not hard core merchants that have the savvy to recognize the potential for failure. That is why you see higher concentrations of stores in popular retirement areas of the country. Someone wants to semi-retire to his dream . .

On the other hand, those of us in Louisiana & Mississippi can't get one store in a two state area. According to the economy stats we are doing far better here than most of the country. Ask the Grizzly how much equipment they ship here. . . or Rockler, or Woodcraft . . . I have a friend that works for UPS and he says there are very few days that he does not handle a package for one of these on his route . . .

WE WANT A WOODCRAFT STORE - WE WANT A ROCKLER STORE ! ! ! !
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

14. The woodcraft in Merrillville, Indiana is closing this saturday. The owner said he was running at about 45% capacity and couldn't hang on any longer.

Robert,

Not sure if you ever have the need to drive north, but there is another Woodcraft in Clearwater. I work at MacDill AFB in Tampa, but live in Palmetto so I would go to either store depending if I was off or going to work. I can see your point about the free shipping though, when it's available...
    Last edited by Jason Varner AF; 03-13-2010 at 3:50 PM.