Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a lil help please

I need a lil help please

Can anyone suggest how to get a 600 pound PM 2700 out of the back of a pick up with almost no help?? i am suppose to pick one up tomorrow and i am not sure what to do. It will be loaded for me with a forklift but i have to get it off once home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rent a pick up truck with a lift gate.

Engine hoist? But I 'dunno' if the engine will have the height required to get it off safely the truck bed. Better ask the rental company if a hoist will work as I'm beginning to have doubts as if it will....

Whenever I have to get a multi-hundred pound tool from here to there and can't roll it, some disassembly is usually involved. Don't know how hard it would be with that machine, but taking the top off and removing the motor will probably bring the pieces down to closer to 200 lbs each.

mark

bring it to my house and if you will help me get it out of truck ill help you load it into my basement...lol

Think about this, do you have anyway of making a "slide" for it and just a slight angle or even a bridge for it to go from truck to land. Do you have a come along? that you could use to pull it with?

If there is a will there is a way, believe me I have very heavy stuff in my basement "where my shop is" and I have had to get real imaginative.

good luck to you though
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

If the saw is on a pallet, you can use a pair of 8 foot 2x10s as ramps. Just have them in the bed when the saw is loaded and once you get to where you are going, pull the boards and pallet to the edge of the tailgate. It's relatively easy (if a bit awkward) to push the boards down, then the saw should gently slide off. I took delivery of a cabinet saw (PCS) two weekends ago and that is how we got it out of the truck.

Hire a car hauler that uses a ramp/bed. Have him back up to your garage, tilt and use his winch to ease it off.

Hi Jordan:

A couple of thoughts to add to the mix:

Black cast iron pipe makes great rollers. Keep two or three pieces under the pallet and have your helper move a piece from the back to the front as you move the saw.

The folks on OWWM.org move heavy stuff all the time. You might search the archives there for hints.

If you use the 2X10 ramps be sure to have vertical braces under them.

And if it starts to move the wrong direction, GET OUT OF THE WAY. You probably can't stop the momentum of a 700 # load coming at your knees.

All the best, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

My shop is in the garage.
    I have a 1 ton chain fall to lift heavy objects. A couple 2x4s holding the joists up keep the roof from falling down around me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

9. I rented a utility trailer with a ramp to move all my major tools. The trailer is low and the ramp made it easy and safe to off load. I also did this without help.

Lots of good suggestions here, but not a one commenting on the stealth gloat!!! You won't get any congrats until we see a picture, you know that, right? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jordan I have the same shaper and it is heavy taking the top off is not an option...not as easy as a table saw I am lucky to have a small tractor and loader to lift it off. I would be leary to slide it down ramps with it upright...probably tip over. If you can lay it on the back and slide it down maybe be an option but I am not sure if you can lay it down or not.

When they loaded mine they had like a pallet jack or hand fork lift that went high enough to get into a truck...not sure if you can rent anything like that or not.

If you do manage to get it off I'm sure you will enjoy it...its a very nice shaper. Did you get the matching gold power feed to go with it.

Phil

If it's has a medium to low center of gravity or can be made to have that by putting it on a side, this method has worked for me many times and is easy.
    Take 2 8 to 10 foot, the longer the easier 2x6 or 2x8's put them under the load on each side. Assumming the load is at the front of the bed, slide the load and 2x's like a sled until the load on the 2x's is just on the tail gate. At this point get someone else to monitor the load while you lower the 2x's toward the ground. The load will very slowly slide and can be controlled by raising the 2x's. Soon the load will be at the full incline and you can just help it slide the rest of the way.
    I did this with my Laguna Band saw (on it's side). I learned it when years ago I bought a Vermont Casting wood stove and the owner of the company showed me how. Works great.....keep the 2x's level, which keeps the load level. The spotter can help steady the load.
    Once on the ground, assumming it has some kind of flat bottom, you can use 1 1/2" PVC pipe pieces to do the Eyption thing and roll it where you want it. I've rolled very heavy tools this way and an yet to break one.
    Good luck and be careful.
    Josh

Not as heavy, but when I picked up my Ridgid 4511 TS, I used a power lift gate and moving dollies. I got the pallet measurements and put two cheap HF moving dollies together. Kept them together with a couple of 1/4 so that they wouldn't squirm around. Had HD put the pallet on top of the dollies with their forklift. I rented a box van with a power tail gate. Got the TS and a generator home w/o too much drama. Be careful as you lower the tailgate as it does NOT lower parallel with the ground. There is a slight tipping towards the end of the lift gate. I don't know if they're all like this, but check it out before your load starts rolling towards the end of the ramp. A couple of simple chocks would be helpful.

I didn't want to spend the money, but all of the alternatives had more effort and potentially more risky. I weighed the $50 rental (2 hr charge and just 4 against hurting myself or my new purchases.

Rent or borrow a hand truck like this. It will help you move it around. I used one to load and unload my tablesaw. A couple people to help is necessary. Put the handcart on the PM and roll it towards the endgate. Lay it backwards with the handled towards your cab. Slide the cart off the end with two people below and one on the handles using 2x ramps and slide it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65685

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Prince View Post
    Rent or borrow a hand truck like this. It will help you move it around. I used one to load and unload my tablesaw. A couple people to help is necessary. Put the handcart on the PM and roll it towards the endgate. Lay it backwards with the handled towards your cab. Slide the cart off the end with two people below and one on the handles using 2x ramps and slide it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65685

U-Haul used to rent those.