Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection for drill press?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust collection for drill press?

What are you guys doing for dust & chip collection on your drill presses?

My larger forstner & spade bits throw a lot of medium-sized chips all over the place. I'm not doing any sanding on my drill press, so I'm not too concerned about "fine" dust.

Trying to figure out a slick way to incorporate my 1-1/2HP single-stage DC unit with a 4" flex hose.

Suggestions? Pictures??

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-13-2010 at 11:58 AM.

I'm doing nothing, at the moment, but have it on my to-do list.

Here's the way I'll probably go....

From Wood Magazine.

After that, I'll be searching for something that actually works for miter saw dust collection....

I use some of that cheap semi-rigid flex 2-1/2" hose with my drill press and benchtop mortiser. With this stuff I can position it where I want it or easily push it out of the way. I may switch to the more rigid Loc Line stuff however, since my DC really sucks and it pulls the cheap hose in too close.

Think about how you use your DP, how you use your fence, how often you move the table, etc. so that your DC pickup(s) don't get in the way.

This is the "Flexform" stuff I use from Rockler. It doesn't hold its position too well. Woodcraft ("Stayput")and others sell it also.

But I may switch to this more expensive "Loc Line" stuff also carried by Woodcraft. It is blue and you will often see it with orange fittings:

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-13-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Anybody know if they make the Loc-Line in 4" diameter?

I'm only finding 2-1/2" with an available 4" to 2-1/2" reducer.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I use some of that cheap semi-rigid flex 2-1/2" hose with my drill press and benchtop mortiser. With this stuff I can position it where I want it or easily push it out of the way. I may switch to the more rigid Loc Line stuff however, since my DC really sucks and it pulls the cheap hose in too close.

Think about how you use your DP, how you use your fence, how often you move the table, etc. so that your DC pickup(s) don't get in the way.

This is the "Flexform" stuff I use from Rockler. It doesn't hold its position too well. Woodcraft ("Stayput")and others sell it also.

But I may switch to this more expensive "Loc Line" stuff also carried by Woodcraft. It is blue and you will often see it with orange fittings:

I'm using a 2" PVC arm connected to my central shop vac system. The higher static pressure seems to "grab" the chips better than a similar setup with 4" connected to my DC. One trick that is useful to me is taking a 5 -6" length of 4" flex hose, slitting it down its length, and placing it around the area that is being drilled. Those large forstner bits throw off quite a bit of debris, and the flex hose shield allows the vac to collect most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Anybody know if they make the Loc-Line in 4" diameter?

I'm only finding 2-1/2" with an available 4" to 2-1/2" reducer.

Jason
    At least as of about a year or so ago, no 4" when I emailed them to ask though they were looking into it. Apparently they cant just make bigger hose that will stay put due to the hose weight itself so it needs a design tweak to go bigger.
    Use the fence Luke

Alan,
    I like the hookup on your BS for dust. I have a 14" Jet that has a OE 2 1/4" hockup near the bottom of the table / blade that does almost nothing when hooked to my DC system. Do you have any pics of how it is attached / made you would like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bova View Post
    Alan,
    I like the hookup on your BS for dust. I have a 14" Jet that has a OE 2 1/4" hockup near the bottom of the table / blade that does almost nothing when hooked to my DC system. Do you have any pics of how it is attached / made you would like to share?
    I actually have a better attachment now. I removed the useless little 2-1/4" pickup. Then I added two pieces of angle iron to the table and used the existing fence rail mounting bolts (and holes) to attach them to the table. The angle iron holds a "U" shaped piece of 3/4" plywood under the table. I can slide it in and out as needed to access the lower guides, to tilt the table, etc. I made a dust shroud from sheet metal that encloses most of the area under the table and close to the blade. It attaches to the ply. I leave the back of the table open as a source of take-up air. I run a 6" flex DC line to the saw.

Two pieces of angle iron:

Angle iron close-up:

Slide out plywood shroud attachment:

Horizontal table:

Slanted table:

Thanks Alan,
    This setup looks even better than the earlier version.
    Not to be a PITA (the LOML says that's not possible :-)), do you have any pics of the plywood, top and bottom, so I can see how you have it made?
    Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bova View Post
    Thanks Alan,
    This setup looks even better than the earlier version.
    Not to be a PITA (the LOML says that's not possible :-)), do you have any pics of the plywood, top and bottom, so I can see how you have it made?
    Thanks again.
    Sorry, no pics of the ply handy, but probably wouldn't help much anyway unless you have the same saw. The ply started out rectangular to fit between the angle iron. Then I cut the edge facing the blade so that it would fit around various features under the table. Only the top edge of the metal shroud is screwed to the ply- that allows the shroud to flex and change angle of the dangle when I tilt the table.

Thanks Alan, that helps about the shroud flex...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I'm doing nothing, at the moment, but have it on my to-do list.

Here's the way I'll probably go....

From Wood Magazine.

After that, I'll be searching for something that actually works for miter saw dust collection....

This is exactly what I use... Built it soon after seeing it in WOOD and it works great!

This may or may not help. I have the Delta 17-950L. I bought it because I thought the table would work great, and it does. It has an added benifit of having a large insert with a 4" hole below. I took a 4" sheet metal takeoff and attached it to the table and then a 4" flex hose and blast gate. It works great for chips and sanding dust when I drum sand on the press. Im surprised that more companies havent added this feature for dust collection. Im on the road now, and dont have any other pics, but if you want more info, I will keep my eye on this thread and answer any questions you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My favorite cologne is BLO