Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection for drill press?

Dust collection for drill press?

What are you guys doing for dust & chip collection on your drill presses?

My larger forstner & spade bits throw a lot of medium-sized chips all over the place. I'm not doing any sanding on my drill press, so I'm not too concerned about "fine" dust.

Trying to figure out a slick way to incorporate my 1-1/2HP single-stage DC unit with a 4" flex hose.

Suggestions? Pictures??

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-13-2010 at 11:58 AM.

I'm doing nothing, at the moment, but have it on my to-do list.

Here's the way I'll probably go....

From Wood Magazine.

After that, I'll be searching for something that actually works for miter saw dust collection....

I use some of that cheap semi-rigid flex 2-1/2" hose with my drill press and benchtop mortiser. With this stuff I can position it where I want it or easily push it out of the way. I may switch to the more rigid Loc Line stuff however, since my DC really sucks and it pulls the cheap hose in too close.

Think about how you use your DP, how you use your fence, how often you move the table, etc. so that your DC pickup(s) don't get in the way.

This is the "Flexform" stuff I use from Rockler. It doesn't hold its position too well. Woodcraft ("Stayput")and others sell it also.

But I may switch to this more expensive "Loc Line" stuff also carried by Woodcraft. It is blue and you will often see it with orange fittings:

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-13-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I'm doing nothing, at the moment, but have it on my to-do list.

Here's the way I'll probably go....

From Wood Magazine.

After that, I'll be searching for something that actually works for miter saw dust collection....

This is exactly what I use... Built it soon after seeing it in WOOD and it works great!

This may or may not help. I have the Delta 17-950L. I bought it because I thought the table would work great, and it does. It has an added benifit of having a large insert with a 4" hole below. I took a 4" sheet metal takeoff and attached it to the table and then a 4" flex hose and blast gate. It works great for chips and sanding dust when I drum sand on the press. Im surprised that more companies havent added this feature for dust collection. Im on the road now, and dont have any other pics, but if you want more info, I will keep my eye on this thread and answer any questions you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Anybody know if they make the Loc-Line in 4" diameter?

I'm only finding 2-1/2" with an available 4" to 2-1/2" reducer.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I use some of that cheap semi-rigid flex 2-1/2" hose with my drill press and benchtop mortiser. With this stuff I can position it where I want it or easily push it out of the way. I may switch to the more rigid Loc Line stuff however, since my DC really sucks and it pulls the cheap hose in too close.

Think about how you use your DP, how you use your fence, how often you move the table, etc. so that your DC pickup(s) don't get in the way.

This is the "Flexform" stuff I use from Rockler. It doesn't hold its position too well. Woodcraft ("Stayput")and others sell it also.

But I may switch to this more expensive "Loc Line" stuff also carried by Woodcraft. It is blue and you will often see it with orange fittings:

I'm using a 2" PVC arm connected to my central shop vac system. The higher static pressure seems to "grab" the chips better than a similar setup with 4" connected to my DC. One trick that is useful to me is taking a 5 -6" length of 4" flex hose, slitting it down its length, and placing it around the area that is being drilled. Those large forstner bits throw off quite a bit of debris, and the flex hose shield allows the vac to collect most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Anybody know if they make the Loc-Line in 4" diameter?

I'm only finding 2-1/2" with an available 4" to 2-1/2" reducer.

Jason
    At least as of about a year or so ago, no 4" when I emailed them to ask though they were looking into it. Apparently they cant just make bigger hose that will stay put due to the hose weight itself so it needs a design tweak to go bigger.
    Use the fence Luke

Jason, after the set up is done I clamp the shop vac hose to the DP table, so the end is an inch or so from the drill bit. Turn the vac on, turn the drill on. SCHAZZAM! Whether pen blanks or euro hinges the debris disappears into the shop vac.

All the best,

Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    This may or may not help. I have the Delta 17-950L. I bought it because I thought the table would work great, and it does. It has an added benifit of having a large insert with a 4" hole below. I took a 4" sheet metal takeoff and attached it to the table and then a 4" flex hose and blast gate. It works great for chips and sanding dust when I drum sand on the press. Im surprised that more companies havent added this feature for dust collection. Im on the road now, and dont have any other pics, but if you want more info, I will keep my eye on this thread and answer any questions you have.
    Lance, that is pretty slick. When you get home can you post more pics, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Lance, that is pretty slick. When you get home can you post more pics, please?
    Jim... It will be several weeks till I get home again. It would be easier for me to answer questions you have. I will post some more pics if you want, but... it will be a while.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Flexform

I use the Flexform stuff like Alan shows. It works really well and it can be formed to accomodate the fence. It works really well on forstner bits, large spade bits and an ocassional drum sander.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I have the same drill press. I figured out that if you take one of the Woodcraft 4" dust collection "quick connects", it's just the right size that it will wedge in between the 4 bolts that extend through the table right under the wooden insert. When I'm sanding, I remove the insert and everything gets sucked right down.

For other activities, I came up with a clamp that will allow me to put the 4" hose mounted on one of my ride cymbal boom stands (off my drumset). I can adjust it to go wherever I want.

I built a dust cannon. It's basically a piece of 4" pvc on an arm that swivels and raises to any angle. One end is attached to a hose to my dust collector and the other is aimed at wherever I want to suck dust from. I can position it right up on the table of my drill press.

I can't find the pix I found of the original idea but here's a sketch I did when designing it. What is doesn't show is that I put casters on the bottom to move it around, and the ends of the pipe stick out a bit beyond the board they're mounted on. That makes it easier to hook up the hose, or to put an angle on the front.

Also not shown are the T-Track and knobs to make it easier to raise/lower and swivel.
    Attached Images Attached Images