Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection for drill press?

I'm short enough on floor space.... not sure that'll work for me, but an interesting idea!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by John Seiffer View Post
    I built a dust cannon. It's basically a piece of 4" pvc on an arm that swivels and raises to any angle. One end is attached to a hose to my dust collector and the other is aimed at wherever I want to suck dust from. I can position it right up on the table of my drill press.

I can't find the pix I found of the original idea but here's a sketch I did when designing it. What is doesn't show is that I put casters on the bottom to move it around, and the ends of the pipe stick out a bit beyond the board they're mounted on. That makes it easier to hook up the hose, or to put an angle on the front.

Also not shown are the T-Track and knobs to make it easier to raise/lower and swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by John Seiffer View Post
    I built a dust cannon.
    Wouldn't that technically shoot dust at you ?

I have this picture in my mind of the vacuum cleaner from "The Munsters".

Alan,
    I like the hookup on your BS for dust. I have a 14" Jet that has a OE 2 1/4" hockup near the bottom of the table / blade that does almost nothing when hooked to my DC system. Do you have any pics of how it is attached / made you would like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bova View Post
    Alan,
    I like the hookup on your BS for dust. I have a 14" Jet that has a OE 2 1/4" hockup near the bottom of the table / blade that does almost nothing when hooked to my DC system. Do you have any pics of how it is attached / made you would like to share?
    I actually have a better attachment now. I removed the useless little 2-1/4" pickup. Then I added two pieces of angle iron to the table and used the existing fence rail mounting bolts (and holes) to attach them to the table. The angle iron holds a "U" shaped piece of 3/4" plywood under the table. I can slide it in and out as needed to access the lower guides, to tilt the table, etc. I made a dust shroud from sheet metal that encloses most of the area under the table and close to the blade. It attaches to the ply. I leave the back of the table open as a source of take-up air. I run a 6" flex DC line to the saw.

Two pieces of angle iron:

Angle iron close-up:

Slide out plywood shroud attachment:

Horizontal table:

Slanted table:

Here is the 4" hose from Lee valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...597,62604&ap=1

I use one 4" and one 2.5" and I just get it close to whatever I'm doing and the stuff just disappears. It's hooked up to a cyclone.
    The 4" has so much suction that it usually ends up getting drawn into the drill press chuck. So I need to come up with a way to keep it under control.

Thanks Alan,
    This setup looks even better than the earlier version.
    Not to be a PITA (the LOML says that's not possible :-)), do you have any pics of the plywood, top and bottom, so I can see how you have it made?
    Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bova View Post
    Thanks Alan,
    This setup looks even better than the earlier version.
    Not to be a PITA (the LOML says that's not possible :-)), do you have any pics of the plywood, top and bottom, so I can see how you have it made?
    Thanks again.
    Sorry, no pics of the ply handy, but probably wouldn't help much anyway unless you have the same saw. The ply started out rectangular to fit between the angle iron. Then I cut the edge facing the blade so that it would fit around various features under the table. Only the top edge of the metal shroud is screwed to the ply- that allows the shroud to flex and change angle of the dangle when I tilt the table.

Thanks Alan, that helps about the shroud flex...