Thread: Shop size advice

Shop size advice

I have compiled enough tools to get a good start at WW and now I am trying to decide where to do it at. I just finished a 30 x 40 metal building but unfortunantly it's not totally for WW. I have two options 1) I have enough room to enclose of an area 14' X 30' for WW or I have an older slabe that is 16 x 16 in my yard that the LMOL said I could build a building on for WW. I assume I would be better off with the 14x30 or does anyone see where the 16 x 16 would benifit me more?

Keep the 14 x 30. I have 20 x 20 and its ok. 14 wide is pretty good.

You may be able to build something on the slab that you could put things in so you can get more of the building.

How far apart is the slab from the building? Are the close enough that you could easily trench between and run power between the buildings?

Build a simple shed/building on the 16X16 slab for your storage and finishing shop and the 14X30 for the WW shop.
    Wood'N'Scout

64% bigger sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Big.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

A wise man once said, "Too big ain't big enough".
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Before I built my pole barn, I rented shop space in an old mill building.
    It was too good a deal to pass up, I paid $2.50 a square foot per year,($83 a month) included heat and electricity. The space was 12x 36', with 16' ceiling and and almost floor to ceiling windows on the east and south sides. For a one man shop, it really was great, I did have to move things around a few times, but I laid tools out in a line, with benches against the walls, the back had a 12' RAS table. If you have decent ceiling height, which it sounds like you do, than 14x 30' sounds great to me.
    Try laying out the shop on paper with the tools you own, but also thinks of future needs.