Thread: Engraving a Old Gun Stock

Engraving a Old Gun Stock

So my question is
    I have an old 30/30 model 94 winchester that's been in my family for years.. It hasn't worked for probably 5 years.. Well my dad gave it to me to fix it up and get it working so he could use it to go hunting with.

Since I have a laser engraver and I'm getting all the metal parts refinished I thought that it would be cool to engrave the stock of the gun..

I've never done finished wood before so my question is should I sand all the finish off before I try to engrave it then refinish it or would it be ok to engrave it and just lightly sand and refinish..

Thanks for the help in advance..

An already finished piece always seems to engrave better, it is easy to rub any residue caused by the lasering and stops charring as the laser does it's work. Because a gun stock is likely to encounter different weather conditions I would suggest a final thin top coat be done to protect the piece.

I have seen stuff that has been done on wood and then varnished or laquered afterwards and sometimes the excess fluid 'pools' and takes away the beauty of the engraving. Which is another reason to have a final finish in mind, if it is waxing, it won't be much of a problem though.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

For what it's worth...

Replacement stock/forend kits for Model 94's can be had fairly cheaply. Given the age of the wood/finish, you'll probably have to go all the way down to bare wood anyway. So I think before I'd (potentially) bugger up a semi-heirloom, I'd get new parts and work from there.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I actually ordered the replacement stocks which is what I'm working with, but they are already finished.. Thanks for the tips, and if anyone has any cool patterns other than the fish scale, or diamond fill in corel and would like to share then I'd be glad to use them

Rich

Here's a link to the Epilog site. http://www.epiloglaser.com/gun_stock_engraving.htm
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Be careful, you may decrease the "collectors" value of the gun if you engrave the original stock.

Blog Entries
    Not if the collector is the owner.

Often the best collectibles are the ones you want to keep until you die... after that, it doesn't much matter how much it's worth.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

Often the best collectibles are the ones you want to keep until you die... after that, it doesn't much matter how much it's worth.
    I Think I'll take all my guns with me... Where I'm going, I may need them!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

Exactly... I have a knife that was my dad's, a Frank Richtig, very collectible and fairly valuable ~ $2,500 or so. He paid $22.00 for it in 1942 and probably never gave it another thought, as to the value. He took it hunting when I was a kid and used it as a knife should be used. I didn't find out how much it was worth until a few years ago. Now it's in the safe. My nephew will get it when I die, hopefully he'll appreciate it's sentimental, not monetary, value.
    Last edited by Gary Hair; 03-17-2010 at 5:13 PM.