Thread: Figuring Cuts?

Figuring Cuts?

I am terrible at figuring a cutting schedule for my projects. Is there a computer program any of you could recommend that I can enter the size of my stock and the desired sizes after cutting that will lay it out the most efficiently? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Robbie

Here is a free one that I use. It works for me and is very compact.

http://delphiforfun.org/Programs/cutlist.htm
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

For sheet goods, I use CutList Plus. For solid stock, I work it out manually as I choose stock carefully for grain match and direction for project components. That often means that the first rip cut may not be parallel to the board's existing edge. While I have a sliding saw that makes this easy, it's pretty simple to use a sled or even a thin piece of hardboard as a carrier with the stock temporarily fastened with carpet tape or 23 gage pins so you can run something straight along the fence while holding the board in question at whatever skew angle is necessary to get that first edge. I lay out components "rough" and oversized on a board using chalk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Try Sheet Layout 8 at Sheetlayout.com. They have a free version that is fully functional. It is easy to use and works on both sheet goods and lineal stock. If your needs are greater than the free version, number of parts, then they have various levels of the program with more capability for number of parts and sheets of material.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

+1 for CutListPlus
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thank you all. I really appreciate the help. I loaded up the cutlist program so I'll see if I can figure out how to do it now. Thanks again.
    Robbie

I actually use eCabinets because it allows for so much more than just a cut layout.