Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were a square

I haven't accumulated much I don't use regularly. My favorites are the Starrett 12" (with 45 degree also), a small engineer's square, a framing square and a Veritas corner square to trace a line around an edge. I don't know enough to sense what else I might need, possibly excepting the Starrett 36 incher already mentioned.

But they are each square enough. I know that by a fairly simple test. Take a straight edge and use the square to draw a perpindicular line from it onto some surface. Then turn the square over and, from the same starting point, redraw the line. If the lines are identical and don't diverge along the way, the square is passably right-on.

Jack
    Why eat natural foods when most people die of natural causes?

My accurate measuring tools include:

Craftsman knock-around 12" combination square for dropping on the floor(oops) and tossing on the bench.

Starrett 24" combination square with 3 heads.

Set of 3 Wood Craft try-squares in a wooden box.

Starrett 36" straight edge. (I made a velvet lined ash carrying case to protect it from everything but me....)

Dial read-out bevel protractor.

Digital micrometer.

Set of many many (don't remember how many) gauge blocks in plastic case.

Yes, you only asked for squares, but I tend to get carried away.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have a Starrett combination square, a set of engineering squares for machine set up, various framing squares, a few speed squares for carpentry and a 40" straight edge I bought from Lee Valley. That is a great straight edge for the money BTW.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

I vote for the Harbor Freight Engineering squares 2" through 6" Right on the money.
    Bob

I have 3 Stanley 12" combo squares, a framing square, a speed square, a roofing square, and a nice fixed one (I dont remember the manufacturer). The combo squares are accurate enough for me. I went to my local woodworker store to get something very accurate to set up my jointer and the guy told me to just use my combo square. It is accurate enough for my needs.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Starretts for me, too. I have the 12" combo (that I discovered in nearly-new condition for a "song" at a used tool store a few years ago) and a 6" adjustable that happened to come with it. I also have a small 3" 90º fixed try-square that I got from Lee Valley that is very handy for tool setup, etc. These squares have never failed me. One of the real differences between the "good ones" and those that are less worthy is the crisp, clear etching on the rules.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mine are the economy set of machinist squares from MSC that i bought several years ago. I actually have 2 sets, one for work and one for the wood shop. Also, the economy combo head with 12", 24" and 36" etched rules.

What is amazing is i've checked all these out on the CNC CMM at work and the worst reading i got was .0024 at the end of the 36" rule/head combo. The set of machinist squares was amazingly square at .0006" at 8". My Starrett 4" double square which gets used the most is .0013" at 4".

All these tolerances are much much better than you'll need for layout and machine setup. In my opinion, save your money and stay away from the higher priced Starrett , Brown and Sharp etc. You won't realize the accuracy your spending money on.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Sure seems like the Staretts are popular - as are a whole lot of others!

I guess it all comes down to personal preference on tools.

Thanks for sharing all.

Betsy

My dad is a machinist, and I have an assortment of aluminum blocks that he CNC machined. A triangle, a square and a rectangle, etc. They are crude, but perfectly square and very handy. I use them for setting miter jigs, glue ups, table saw blade, etc.

Without a doubt my favourite is my father's framing square. It is at least 75 years old and I am qutie sure that the square is square. Moreover, when I was about 10 years old, Dad taught me how to measure rafters using that same square

Incra Square....45°
    Three machinist squares from LV
    Some framing squares that are FAR from square

All else in my shop is round....including me.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have a variety of engineers squares (2", 4" and 6"), a Starrett combination square and a LV straight edge. BUT...the one little square I keep in my apron and seem to use constantly is my Veritas Saddle Square...very inexpensive, VERY useful. I use it so often and am so afraid of losing it that I am thinking about getting a spare (along with the Veritas Dovetail Saddles.) My Starrett is also near and dear to my heart!

I have three speed squares that are close enough for government work, but I can see a day when I will need what you have.

Ones not mentioned yet

I have a Starrett 12" combination square but rarely use it. My most heavily used square is a 4" Starrett double square. It slips into the apron easily. The double square format is more versatile for 90 degree layout than a 90/45 head, and comes to the work more easily. Works well enough as a depth or height gauge. I have a 6" double square too, but don't use it as much as the 4". Note that these tools, and combination squares, can go off angle with wear or dust between the head groove and the bar. Check them against a reliable fixed square every now and then.

About a year ago I got a 6" Nobex square. Great tool. I use it almost as much as the 4" double square. The Nobex, for those who may not know, has an aluminum extrusion handle, a pivoting stainless steel graduated blade, and a unique ball detent that stops the blade with authority at 0, 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees. There's nothing to rust, so the square does well in my humid shop environment. Its angles appear to be spot on every time. Snapping it to 0 degrees folds it for easy toolbox or shop apron storage. I might add the Nobex 10" or 14" squares to my tool set.