Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were a square

Question If you were a square

What type would you be?

Since I've gotten into making boxes and other asundry small things I've grown very attached to my squares and set up blocks. I've upgraded from the old box store combo squares - that really weren't square at all - to the incra 45 and 90 degree squares and to a Sterrit (sp?) combo square.

I'm interested to see what other brands, etc. folks use to see if there are other squares, set up tools, etc. I should consider for my arsenal.

Thanks
    Betsy

Starrett is the brand you are thinking of. I have a 36" precision straight-edge from them. Guaranteed to 0.0002" (yes, that is 0.2 mil or nearly 1 micron) per foot.

Incra is good but I already ponied up some dollars a while back for some India manufactured "engineering" or "setup" squares that do just fine. However, I pay a bit more for some of the Stanley's I have laying around...including a 15" combo.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I don't have any expensive ones, but what I have is square (i think)

I have several plastic drafting squares (triangles), a couple of old stanley combo squares, a couple of framing squares, and my trusty speed square

I'd like to get a set of engineer squares, just because they are cool

Denny

Nothing fancy here. A framers square, a smaller version of a framers square, and 4 combo squares.
    I had an old hardware salesman show me a trick once while I was looking over a rack of twelve or so framing squares, wondering which one would actually be close to square. We went through the whole stack of them, taking two at a time and matching them up. Out of that twelve or so, only three would match each other.

My better half has treated me to Bridge City Tools over several Christmases and birthdays! They're beautifully made and very accurate (and guaranteed)! They are pricey though.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

I have a variety of squares but most often on my boxes I just measure diagonals to nearest millimeter.

Ahem, Chris, how do you know it is that straight? And more importantly why do you care? Lordy, I don't have anything that straight and nothing I build will ever be that straight...

Sounds like a little on the OCD side. You know Shelley Bolster?
    Last edited by Michael Stafford; 11-05-2004 at 4:47 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Betsy:

I have a 12" Starrett combo square that I use all the time. I have a cheap-o 12" Stanley that I use outside and laon to friends, since I won't be heartbroken if it gets lost, stolen or ruined. For machine setups, and situations that call for a smaller square, I use a 4" engineer's square that I bought at Highland Hardware.
    Sam/Atlanta

At our BBQ a couple people found my "mother of all squares". It is a mitutoyu that is one meter on the long leg and weighs about 65 lbs. The certification form says 25 micro meters. NOt sure how much that is but it's pretty small.
    Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    The one thing I have never been accused of is being a square.

Since my earlier years (before most of you were born), as an apprentice machinist, I have relied on Starrett squares.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I AM a square--a very round square.
    I have lots of different squares for different uses. Big and little framing squares, combination squares, big and little engineer's squares, a folding 45/90 square, saddle square, an old Stanley try square (it's not too accurate, and I haven't decided whether to true it up, but I like using it where not much accuracy is needed), and some T-squares, including a 48" one for marking sheet goods for rough-cutting. I also eat three squares a day--that's how I got so round.

Incra

Betsy, I have a beautiful display on the pegboard of "all-most squares." They all look good including the Bridge one...which was always suspect. It allowed you to adjust the square. I always thought that sort of defeated the whole purpose. I have been using the two Incra squares (90 and 45) and they are great but sometimes get under other stuff and are hard to find.

I have the usual assortment of framing squares (big and small), speed squares (big and small), combination squares (big and small). drafting squares for machine set up, and a cheap set of Harbor Freight engineers squares (four sizes, 2" through 6", for about $12 if I remember correctly). I find myself reaching for the engineers squares most often, for boxes, for right angle glue-ups, for checking fence squaring etc etc. As close as I can (or need to) check them, they are dead on. The next time I order from HF, I will order another set.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Ahem, Chris, how do you know it is that straight? And more importantly why do you care? Lordy, I don't have anything that straight and nothing I build will ever be that straight...
    Starrett guarantees it...I hafta trust them I guess.

It is quite important for good setup of machines: TS, J/P, etc. I think everyone needs a quality straight-edge to tune their toys.

So, think a tad out of the box...it isn't for the wood...it is for the wood shredders!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, is that what is meant by a "double standard"?

Machines to a tenth of a mill and framing to a stones throw.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

I have a 12" 3 head Starrett, but most often use a Starret 4" double square. I also have a 4" Bridge City square, and a 36" Starret straight edge, beveled and graduated, which I protect with my life. I built a holder for it on the inside rail of my bench, so nothing can fall on it, and it cannot fall. I didn't pay al lot for it, but the current retail is $267, which is way over the top. I also use both a bridge city,and a LV, saddle square for taking a line around a corner, and both are used heavily. The LV needs to be on a 90 deg. corner; the BC is hinged. Wish there were stainless instead of alum. and brass, which is too soft.
    I can't imagine working without a square square.
    Alan