Thread: How old is it?

How old is it?

I have a Cannon Ball rope bed. Are there some features/designs that would help narrow the range of years this bed was made? I'm sure pre-1860s, but hope to determine a more precise date.
    Pictures? I'll have to borrow a better camera, so that may take a while.

Blog Entries
    Doing a search on > Cannonball rope bed < presents most of them as being made in the 1930-1840 time period. That is how it is in furniture sometimes, something comes into fashion, then something else comes along. I do recall something like this being in vogue also in the 1950s. People have been recycling longer than we know.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have you guys ever seen a bed that has big wooden SCREWS on the ends of its stretchers. Screws together. I think it is a weak design. don't know much about them,must be early to mid 19th.C. I was called upon to make a new screw for one end of a stretcher. The male threads had completely worn out.

I always get the jobs that the furniture conservators can't do.

I've seen alot of them in Central New York State area ( around Syracuse).
    Usually in the corners of small antique/junk shops, don't bring much money. Always seem to be out of poplar or maple. I see them referred to as "hired-man beds". It saves the effort of dealing with metal bed hardware and I guess if the threads were kept greased, the bed could be assembled/dis-assembled quickly and stored.

The screw I had to make for the bed I helped repair was made of poplar. Seems like a terribly weak wood,and a construction that is not practical in longevity.

It would be nice if you can get some pictures of the bed when you have the time so we can look at it.