Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Drool: 12" Combination Square

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    If your HF one is actually square, then it does it's job. Mine was off by 1/8" over it's 12" length. That's WAY too much error for my taste.

I think the OP purchased this very nice tool just because it's something he'll use often, and the higher quality "fit and finish" is worth it. Just like a $9 random orbit sander from HF will do the same thing as a $400 Festool sander - but they're not the "same"
    .125" over a 12" length is just over .5 degrees out of square. 1 degree is .017" over 1 inch.

Starret is a quality tool used to make quality products. I have an 18" blade that is out about .020" over it's length which if fine by me!
    Regards,
    Chas

Ignorance is curable, stupidity if forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    But those little 4" sliding squares, very neat. Starrett is the only brand I found that offered those. Lie-Nielsen has them.
    Lee Valley makes a non-Starret made-in-USA 4" double square. I own one, and like it.

Just a note...the standard Starret combination square has a cast iron head. You need to pay extra for the hardened head.

Lastly, the correct way to fix an out-of-square combination square is to use a teeny little file on the metal nibs that the rule rests on. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    I got mine at Rockler. I'm guessing I have the cast iron, rather than the hardened.... it is still heads over heels better than what I had.

I've been watching the bay for some of the machinist squares and gauges too. I don't want to get caught up over "tuning" everything though, but at the same... I don't want to have to do a lot of corrective work either.

I have been using several Starret squares, protractor, center head and square head for 30 years, or more. I bought them, along with a 1959-60 vintage Craftsman 10" radial arm saw in a package that included an 8" machinists vise, several Starret dividers, inside and outside calipers, slide calipers and protractors, an unused set of Stanley chisels, and an assortment of fasteners and screwdrivers. The Starret tools are still smooth operating, and easy to clean up.
    I don't wanna' tell you that I paid way less than $100 in the early 70's from an unhappy wife going through a divorce, selling her hubby's tools. I was actually late, getting last pick.

The best companion to a Starret combo square is a cheap hardware store square. When doing rough work or hardware installations which benefit from having two squares set up, it's really nice having both. My 15 year old starret is starting to get beat up and chipped, and certainly would have been replaced twice already if I didn't also have an everyday square as well.

-steve

Does anyone else use the General combo square? Not the cheap black one but the more expensive blue one? I think is slides nicely and is super accurate as checked against my Groz.

Should have just saved the money and got a Harbor Freight combo square.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Should have just saved the money and got a Harbor Freight combo square.
    I'm not a big fan of the "throw away" generation. I place value in the idea that I can own a tool that will not only serve me well, but my kids too.

General has always been a low cost tool. If you want a decent square,get a Starrett.

I say that with caution. All my Starrett tools are OLDER. Some funny stuff has come out of Starrett lately.

If you have a pawn shop,or other place where you can pick up used older machinist's tools,try visiting it. Make sure to examine any square for dented corners,or other damage showing it was dropped on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    Lee Valley makes a non-Starret made-in-USA 4" double square. I own one, and like it.
    Thanks Chris. I don't know how I missed that when I checked Lee-Valley. Also $18 less expensive than the Starrett 4" at Lie-Nielson.

Brian

in measuring devices i to prefer to get the best a person can, when i can afford it. WC had a groz set on sale and i bought them. I do like the "fit and finish" on them. I also have the groz 3 piece set for measuring inside and outisde etc.

kudos on the new toy and may you measure accurately..
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hough View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the "throw away" generation. I place value in the idea that I can own a tool that will not only serve me well, but my kids too.
    It was just a joke. I may be young, but trust me, no "throw away" generation here. Most my tools are my grandfather's 40 year old hand me downs.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

'Use ta' know an old pattern maker who swore by Starrett and swore at everything else.

Took his advice about 25 years ago and bought the Starrett 12" combination square. Dead-nuts on and has never let me down. A few years ago, I dropped it off the work bench and the lip on the screw holding the rule in place broke off. I sent it back to Starrett with a note asking them to fix and to call for my MasterCard number to pay for it. About 2 weeks later, Starrett returned it: no charge for repair and replaced the rule as well as there was a nick in it.

Also have a Bridge City 12” combination square that was a gift. Same thing: accurate as all get out. Later ‘sprang for the 18” rule for it -- which has come in handy. First thought that it couldn’t be accurate with a rule that long, but I was wrong.

Hard to go wrong, IMO when buying quality tools: hold up well and are repairable or can be re-calibrated. Lucky enough to have the smaller 6” and 4” combination squares and the double shares as well. While so may seem repetitious, each has one has a function that fits the bill for various projects. One of these days, I’m ‘gonna’ buy the Starrett #14A 2 1/2” double square. Don’t ask me why, but I’ll probably find a need for it once it is the tool kit.

One thing ‘bout quality tools like the 12” Starrett, Bridge City, Brown and Sharpe is that the rule is readable -- even with my bifocal wearing getting tired 64 y.o. eyes. With the better quality rules, I have no problems reading the 32nd and the 64th scale. With the more economical rules, I have difficulty seeing the graduations.

I get all my Starrett squares and rules on ebay. So far, they've been perfect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    It was just a joke. I may be young, but trust me, no "throw away" generation here. Most my tools are my grandfather's 40 year old hand me downs.
    Well I only say that because just a few years ago I didn't "get" the whole notion of owning quality tools. Hell just a few years ago I had no idea you were supposed to tune/align/etc tools and such. I figured they just did what they did!

I really wish I had some of the tools my grandparents put to work. I'm a bit jealous!