Thread: Woodworks Show

Woodworks Show

My wife and I went to the Woodworks show in Ft. Washington, PA today. There were loads of exhibitors and some pretty good deals, but every time I saw something I liked I looked at SWMBO who was just shaking her head - NO!!

West Penn Hardwoods had lots of fabulous turning blocks, and Hearne Hardwoods had some gorgeous slabs including a sapele slab they were using as a desk. It had to be 4 feet by 12 feet - amazing.

I met a couple of creekers including Dino Makropoulos who sold me one of his EZ Smart Guide systems. He's also working on a new clamp that can handle very thin stock. He demo'd it by trimming just the face veneer off a strip of birch ply. Very impressive. He also talked a lot about his "Dead Wood Concept" by which he means that you don't hold the piece of wood you're cutting - it's dead. All cutting operations should be done by moving the tool over the wood, instead of the other way around. He claimed this would make woodworking much safer. I don't know about that since the only time I was injured was when I sliced off a piece of my pinky while cutting some plywood with a circular saw.

I also ran into Jim Becker who was manning the MiniMax booth and had a real nice talk with him.

I've included pictures of myself with both of them. If any of you have a chance, the show is on through Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

Jim's the only one smiling! I can't wait til our WW show...it's in December and David Marks is gonna be there.

My wife was taking the pictures and was shaking her head - no - whenever I looked at the MiniMax machines.
    Ken

I will never tell who/what I was thinking about...smiles are like that!

It was nice meeting you in person, Ken. Thanks for spending the time chatting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Ken, congrats on the EZ system! I think you'll be quite pleased with it! Also, quite lucky to meet those two characters in person. One of these years, I'd like to meet up with both of them, myself! (BTW, don't forget gloat pics of the SG1 system!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I understand completely...no explanation needed on that one. Those MM bandsaws are something to see in action. Last year I watched a perfect resaw of a 12" tall piece of Walnut. Needless to say I will not soon forget that cut!