Thread: Oasis 8 inch Jointer Knockoff of Delta

Question Oasis 8 inch Jointer Knockoff of Delta

Hi everyone, I am a newbie.

I am looking to get rid of my 25 year old 6 inch craftsman jointer which can not give me a good glueable edge (leaves gaps, maybe out feed table misadjusted?) to an 8 inch jointer. Looked at Jet, Delta, Shopfox, general,sunhill, wilke, and King Canada. I noticed that Toolmarts in San Diego carried shopfox so I called them to drive down 110 miles to look at them. They told me they also carry a knockoff that looks like a Delta, it is called Oasis. Has anyone bought one of these and if so how do you like it. You can view this at http://www.toolmarts.com/specials.html.

Thanks for any input

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Sostrin; 11-06-2004 at 10:48 AM. Reason: missspelling

Gary, I see that this is your first posting at Saw Mill Creek. Welcome!

You may have noticed from the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13485 that I am also in the market for and 8" jointer. So, I will be very interested in the responses to the thread that you have started.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sostrin
    Hi everyone, I am a newbie.

I am looking to get rid of my 25 year old 6 inch craftsman jointer which can not give me a good glueable edge (leaves gaps, maybe out feed table misadjusted?) to an 8 inch jointer. Looked at Jet, Delta, Shopfox, general,sunhill, wilke, and King Canada. I noticed that Toolmarts in San Diego carried shopfox so I called them to drive down 110 miles to look at them. They told me they also carry a knockoff that looks like a Delta, it is called Oasis. Has anyone bought one of these and if so how do you like it. You can view this at http://www.toolmarts.com/specials.html.
    Hi Gary,

Welcome to the 'Creek.

Personally, when looking for any tool I avoid no-name brands if there are respected name brands in the same price neighborhood.

Specifically, if I were looking for an 8" jointer in that price range I would look at Grizzly first.

Grizzly G1018HW $695
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...number=G1018HW

Sure, it's fifty bucks more, and you'll have to pay $78 to ship it, but you won't pay sales tax, so what washes a big portion of the difference. Grizz has earned high marks for customer service of late, and I personally love my G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw.
    I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Creekers who have Grizz jointers, so I'll let them chime in with details.
    JMHO, YMMV, Etc.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Gary,

"Capacity: Width of Stock: 15" max Thickness of Stock: 8" max Depth of Cut: 1/8" max

Table Size:15" x 20" Feed Rollers: Solid Serrated Steel Cutter Head: Diameter: 3" Number of Knives: 3 HSS Speed: 5000 RPM In-feed Rate: 16 and 30 FPM"

It sounds like they're specking a 15" planner. I'd be leary of a company that doesn't know the difference between a planner and a jointer.

Welcome to the SMC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That & they can't spell or use spell check either.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

markus shaffer Guest
    Looks a lot like a Delta DJ-20.. I wouldn't discount the company or the machine cause someone messed up the specs on the website. Chances are someone who knows nothing about woodworking machinery made the website and just mixed the specs up..

However, i'm a firm believer in the old addage "you get what you pay for."

For a jointer, I'd either spend the extra cash for the real DJ-20 or save up until you can get it.. Unless you costantly run really wide boards, I don't think there are many better machines out there in the size and price range.. I had a DJ-20 for several years and only sold it because I upgraded to a combo machine.

-Markus