Thread: Give your DC a booooooost

Give your DC a booooooost

Well, this isn't going to work for everyone, but I just discovered a powerful boost for my DC. I have a Grizzly G1029. It is 2 HP with a 1450 (I believe) CFM rating. Oddly enough, it comes with a 5" port. If my math is correct, you can't get 1450 CFM through a 5" port if you wanted to.

You may have seen my recent thread about 6" PVC pipe fittings and how I needed to make my main pipe larger. In 5" size, my only option was metal piping. So, I contacted Grizzly because I found an odd thing on their website re the G1029... you can get a 6" port on it. The tech wasn't sure if it would fit, but I can tell ya, it fits perfectly! For $18 or so plus shipping, I got a replacement part with a 6" port. So, if my math is correct (and from what I have heard) I ought to be able to have two 4" blast gates open at the same time and still get close to their maximum CFM... or at least a heck of a lot closer than than before.

Anyway, my old 5" port was on a round face frame that was a little over 14" in diameter with 12 screw holes and the replacement with the 6" port was the exact same size.

Yeah, I 'm sure there are those who will tell me that I didn't increase things by much (and I know why...), but it let me run my 6" pipe, so ttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwwppppppppppppppptttttt ttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hot freaking Dang!- I've been wanting to modify my 1029 with a Thein collector, a pleated filter and a 6" intake- this is a good shortcut, quicker and easier than making one!
    Now to figure out getting the outlet and collector up to 6".....

I've got a G1029 and want to beef it up to 6 inches, which systems cover will fit?
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 03-17-2010 at 8:26 AM.

I simply pulled the cover off my 1029, cut out the 5 inch port and used a bunch of sheet metal screws and silicon to put a standard ductwork 6" takeoff onto the cover plate. I had to grind the points of the sheet metal screws to avoid hitting the impeller, but it has worked well for almost 2 years now. The ductwork was less that $4 and was a stock item at one borg or another.
    Wood'N'Scout

I am confused. I have the G1029z - it is a 6" port. Purchased in Jauary 2007. I looked at the manuals at Grizzly and all the G1029 models list 6".

The G1029Z has the new impellor and a 6" port. The non-Z models had a 5" port.
    I drink, therefore I am.

If your cover (the large flat disc with the port) is about 14 1/4" long, then yes, it should fit.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I had the same problem (5" intake), but I just made a plywood disc with a 6" HVAC fitting in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I had the same problem (5" intake), but I just made a plywood disc with a 6" HVAC fitting in the middle.
    That's what I did with my HF 2HP unit. I would have preferred a prefab, steel piece, but Grizzly won't give you the dimensions of their replacement parts.

I've thought of replacing the impeller on the HF with the Grizzly 12.75" one, but I don't know the dimensions of their G1029Z impeller housing. Can you measure that for me?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Well, this isn't going to work for everyone, but I just discovered a powerful boost for my DC. I have a Grizzly G1029. It is 2 HP with a 1450 (I believe) CFM rating. Oddly enough, it comes with a 5" port. If my math is correct, you can't get 1450 CFM through a 5" port if you wanted to.

You may have seen my recent thread about 6" PVC pipe fittings and how I needed to make my main pipe larger. In 5" size, my only option was metal piping. So, I contacted Grizzly because I found an odd thing on their website re the G1029... you can get a 6" port on it. The tech wasn't sure if it would fit, but I can tell ya, it fits perfectly! For $18 or so plus shipping, I got a replacement part with a 6" port. So, if my math is correct (and from what I have heard) I ought to be able to have two 4" blast gates open at the same time and still get close to their maximum CFM... or at least a heck of a lot closer than than before.

Anyway, my old 5" port was on a round face frame that was a little over 14" in diameter with 12 screw holes and the replacement with the 6" port was the exact same size.

Yeah, I 'm sure there are those who will tell me that I didn't increase things by much (and I know why...), but it let me run my 6" pipe, so ttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwwppppppppppppppptttttt ttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike, I'm curious, what is the motor current draw after the inlet upgrade?

Um..... the right amount? You know, I didn't think of that. Do you think I might have altered the motor current draw?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Sorry, Alan, I can't give you any specs on the 12.75" impellor, but I asked the Grizzly tech guy if I could retro fit my G1029 with the new impellor and he said no because the arbor and bearings (or something like that) are a different size. So, it is probably unlikely that you could do it with the HF model. But if your face (of the port) is 14.25" (roughly) then it would likely fit.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Oh, and to everyone who made their own 6" port retro fits, I was on that track, too. I even found a piece in the duct work section at either LOWES or HD that would have worked perfectly. I just didn't want to spend the time cutting and fitting if I could get a repacement part for under $20. It's not like I haven't made my own ports in the past when I couldn't find a premade one. Thanks for sharing your builds, though. Great to hear all the ways to skin a cat.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Um..... the right amount? You know, I didn't think of that. Do you think I might have altered the motor current draw?
    Isn't that what the extended warranty is for?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    If it moves more air, then motor load increased. You are most likely fine, just keep an eye on the heat. Most motors have a service factor of 1.15, which means they can carry 115% of their rated load for a short period of time, a home shop kind of use. There are a lot of competent folks here that can explain this better than me..

I'm glad you are having fun though! Isn't success contagious?!