Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air tool use as a weekend woodworker

I was also not sure I needed a compressor and nailers. I had done some research and decided that if I did buy, I would get the Bostitch with 3 nailer set because of the 7 yr warranty on the nailers (only 1 yr on compressor). Eventually came across a great deal and purchased. Have used the nailers a bit here and there, but don't know how I survived without the compressor. The air is great for cleaning the tools and helps after sanding but before finishing a project.
    Lori K

Thanks for all the good tips

I certainly have a lot of options to look at here and will get something for the job and beyond. I have a 1,400 SQ FT house and will be removing and re-applying the base boards in all the rooms and closets. Looks like about a million nails to me. LOL

Once you start with using nailers you won't want to be without them...I must have 8 or 9 and that new pin nailer is so handy. A few weeks ago I was building a lumber rack in the shop and ran out of nails for the framing nailer. So I got cleaned up and drove 10 miles each way to get some nails. About half way home I had a thought why didn't I get out the hammer and finish the job...nerver even thought about I could use a hammer and nails.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    I certainly have a lot of options to look at here and will get something for the job and beyond. I have a 1,400 SQ FT house and will be removing and re-applying the base boards in all the rooms and closets. Looks like about a million nails to me. LOL
    Same here. My house is a little smaller, but was built in 1960. It has clamshell casing for the doors, and similar clamshell base molding. Very boring. I want to replace that in every room, and add crown molding in the living room. That, plus building a large tool shed out back, drove me to buy several nail guns. I love using them. There is something very satisfying about pulling a trigger, hearing a "whap!", and bingo--there's a nail in your wood. It's so much fun, I wind up walking around the house looking for more things to nail.

be forewarned, nail guns can be addictive.

A year and a half ago a friend gave me her old, large air compressor. For Christmas that year my wife and inlaws got me air tools, among them was an 18 gauge brad nailer/stapler. My response was something like, "Gee, um, that's, umm, nice." When I got the pneumatic grease gun, I was walking on air. I thought that was going to make my life much easier to keep the ball joints maintained.

The grease gun has been used only a few times, and I often forget I even have it.

The nail gun has been so handy and fun to use, I've since bought a framing nailer, 15 ga angled finish nailer, 16 ga finish nailer, an 18 ga bard nailer (that doesn't leave a divot the size of a staple), and a roofing nailer. Keeping these things fed can be pricey, but if you are patient deals can be found on the tools and the fasteners.

I suppose I don't really NEED the nail guns, but they make life so much easier and enjoyable, I would hate to be without them.

Thumbs up +1 for Compressor & Nailers

I purchased a PC Pancake and 3 gun combo and have since added a pin nailer and a framing gun and now I can't imagine ever driving a nail - brad or for that matter a staple by any other means. If you have a woodworking shop, these tools are almost a must (for convenience sake).

For the use I put it through, I have a Central Pnuematic 2HP 8 Gallon compressor that drives...

Framing Nailer
    Finish Nailer
    Brad Nailer
    Stapler
    Pin Nailer
    Gravity Feed spray gun
    Die Grinder (short bursts, Die grinders eat up a LOT of air).
    Air Hammer
    Impact Wrench
    Air Ratchet (see Die Grinder comment)
    Inflators
    Blow Guns
    Siphon sprayers
    Bleeder Pot

I do auto work as well, and honestly, while its not the biggest compressor, and isn't ideal for many applications, my little cheapo HF compressor has done all I have asked of it... Including airing up the 35x12.50 mud tires on my truck...(Okay THAT works out my little compressor!)
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I use the air all the time, both to pin trim, and blow things clean, even my glasses. I'm planning on installing copper pipe for the air in the shop so I can avoid the tangled hose issue. I've also have a number of other air tools: air hammer, die grinder, etc. I don't use these much, but they are actually rather inexpensive.

Preaching to the choir

Reading through the previous posts is liking being inside my own head. I sold a rusted old car and bought a compressor to change lug nuts. several years later I was on a roof laying the first sheets of plywood for a whole roof redo (a job I had done millions of times) and realized my wrists weren't what they used to be. Bought that first gun and kept on buying. compressors are probably more valuable in the shop than a table saw (did he say that?). Renting gets a job done - buying opens up new possibilities never dreamed of.
    -bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Warta View Post
    Just picked this set up a week ago, only run a hundred or so brads through it so far but I've been happy.

One thing I found was don't be stingy with the oil when you first get it going had my mine jam briefly the second time I tried to use it. A little more oil and it was good to go.
    Can I use a HVLP spray gun with this compressor? I don't have an air compressor and I've been telling my wife that I need one and now that she's wanting to repaint the kitchen cabinets and a couple rooms in the house, she's starting to listen! She's wanting to get an HVLP spray gun, but I don't want to get a system that is dedicated to that purpose. We also need a compressor for airing up tires, blowing off dust in the workshop, and maybe a brad nailer (which this one comes with). I won't be using any major air tools. Will this compressor fit those needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Fitts View Post
    I won't be using any major air tools.
    Yeah, right.
    Once you start using a compressor and air tools, there's no stopping you.
    I'm on my 3rd now. The first 2 were too small. Bought a 3hp 21gal this time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Yeah, right.
    Once you start using a compressor and air tools, there's no stopping you.
    I'm on my 3rd now. The first 2 were too small. Bought a 3hp 21gal this time.
    LOL Point taken!
    So maybe I should rephrase the question. Will that compressor do...for now...

Budget is a big issue here, so I'm trying to meet the needs that I have right now, but not spend a lot of money.

The compressor I bought is the HF 230volt model. For the price, it's a great deal. I got it for $129. Find a coupon for it. Also available in 120volt.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93271
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ray, Once you have a nailer/stapler it's all over for you. They are handy. Same for an air compressor. I have 5 compressors... yes, five, and 2 air tanks. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a small oiless pancake compressor. Many only give 1.5-2cfm at 90psi and that won't get much done for you.

I'm going to recomend the HF 2hp 8gal oiled air comp to you. I've used a couple for 4+ years now with no problems. The have a decent recovery at 5cfm@90psi and can be had right now for 80.00 with a 20% off coupon. They are also a little easier to move around than than there oiled 2hp pancake compressor because of the wheels.

Well I guess I gotta get me one of those.

I have been researching noise levels of different compressors and there is not alot of information out there. I am guessing that if a manufacture cannot tout about how quiet it is that it is pretty noisy. I guess a good rule of thumb is if you cannot hear someone talking in a normal tone of voice around a machine running, you need hearing protection.

I hate extremely loud noise and hearing protection starts at 84 db. I know that for every 3 db the sound pressure doubles. It does not take very many db to get really loud. I have read that the PC pancake is around 90 db. No thanks even if it is a good name.

Thomas makes one that is 69 db. but is a little pricey.
    I recall that a Makita I was looking at was 76 db.

Any db specs anyone care to share. Can you hear over the noise of yours?