Thread: Apple Wood Damage

Apple Wood Damage

I have branches from my apple tree that were cut about 1 1/2 years ago. I sealed the ends and stored them in my shed.

I live in Tennessee and I started to use smaller branches this past Christmas for gifts. Today I went in and found these almost perfect round 1/4" holes all over including the sealed ends. They go down at least an inch or two. I discarded them and cleaned the corner of the shed, I found these shavings. I also found a a full sized red wasp that seemed to be almost dead and a marble size mud pack next to the wood. Could this have been damage by the wasps?

Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like carpenter bees. They drill perfect circular holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post
    +1

The ones around here cut holes that are ~ 3/8" dia.

I don't think wasps (especially mud wasps, which typically eat spiders) do that sort of thing. Carpenter bees look like great big bumblebees.

If this was done by carpenter bees should I be concerned about the shed and the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post

I had a hole eaten in TREATED lumber by a carpenter bee!!

If you could save up a bunch of different size ones,you could use them instead of buying drill bits!!

I have to agree that it looks like a carpenter bee issue. Should you be concerned about the house and shop? How do you feel about Swiss Cheese? That is what they will do to anything wood.

We have them BAD here. I kill 20 to 50 a day for about 2 to 3 weeks a year. How? Tennis racket. It is actually fun...
    I drink, therefore I am.

We have carpenter bees in my neck of the woods but I don't remember the kind of shavings I see in picture #4,
    The shavings I see are usually more like sawdust rather than the slivers shown, Just a thought.
    The holes look like carpenter bees though.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Tennis racket.
    Its kinda fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I have to agree that it looks like a carpenter bee issue. Should you be concerned about the house and shop? How do you feel about Swiss Cheese? That is what they will do to anything wood.

We have them BAD here. I kill 20 to 50 a day for about 2 to 3 weeks a year. How? Tennis racket. It is actually fun...
    I built a deck using cedar from recycled pickle tank bottoms for the joists. 2 1/2 inch thick stuff. The carpenter bees love it. Use the tennis racket too but it doesn't accomplish much. Youre only swatting the males that are patrolling their teritory. The females are busy in your wood doing their thing.

A carpenter bee is like a flying 3/8" drill bit. They're kinda amazing (as long as you don't have many of them). The wasp and the mud are relatives but not involved.

The dang things are munching on my PT deck. I need to sheath it in something to keep them out. Started last sommer and I kept pumping insecticide into the holes, but it just made them stronger. ...I prefer a racquetball racquet.

If you want to really make them mad. Pinch you off a piece of steel wool and pack it in the hole. They wont chew through it.