Thread: compressor & finishing dilemma

Blog Entries

compressor & finishing dilemma

I am currently using an ultra-small (1-2 gallon) and cheap Huskey oil-less compressor with a Ridgid brad gun. This works for shooting brads but the compressor needs to cycle after 5-6 2" brads. For finish nails I get 2-3 shots. I am researching my upgrade options and have a bit of a dilemma.

Work I plan on doing in the next year:
    - spray finishing (from small pieces to large cabinetry)
    - finish nailing (some crown & base install around the house)
    - brad nailing (in the shop)
    - blowing dust off (in the shop)
    - filling tires (near / next to shop)

Things I might do at some point (future proofing):
    - sand/bead blast
    - air tools (sander, impact wrench)

One option would be to get a Makita or Thomas portable oil-less compressor. This would be very portable and allow me to use the compressor around the house w/o any problems. However, I think it would not be ideal for spray finishing so I would look at getting a turbine air HVLP (Fuji, etc.). Also, I won't have a strong need for a portable compressor after the crown and base are done on some cabinets I'm installing. The other option would be to get a large used compressor off Craigslist (60gal+ 2-stage, etc.) which would do everything but eliminate portability.

Questions ->
    1) I am also concerned about the finish quality of air turbine vs conventional HVLP (seems that better guns are available for compressor based setups). Are my fears unfounded?
    2) If I go with the large used compressor, I am finding that some used rotary compressors are the same price as the better used 2-stage units. I heard that rotary compressors are very quiet. Are they suitable for my outlined uses?
    3) Are air cleaners & driers really required when spraying with compressor based systems? Is it dependent on the finish type?

Thanks, I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Well, there is a lot you're trying to do.

First off, I have three different tools for the applications you describe. I have a little Hitachi compressor for portability when I am doing work away from home. It keeps up with nailers no problem. Also great for blowing dust from tools.

Second, an Ingersol-Rand T-30 240V 80gal. 14cfm.... That thing is a beast. Best and most used tool that I own. It is for spraying and filling car tires. Seriously, I would recommend that compressor to anyone wanting to spray. You will need filters for the water and oil though. I use an 13cfm HVLP gun and never run out of air, even if I hold the needle open indefinitely. More quiet than my little Hitachi.

For blasting, I use a pressure setup. They don't use as much air as siphon systems. My IR compressor is more than enough but don't think my little hitachi would keep up on any larger project.

I would recommend my setup to hobbyist. You can find the big compressor on CL for about $600. The smaller ones are best new because they usually get abused and they aren't 100% duty cycle. A smaller compressor will never keep up with a sprayer or air sander. Turbine sprayer systems are nice for portability, but they blow hot air so lacquers and such tend to have flash problems.
    Last edited by Brett Nelson; 03-17-2010 at 6:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Any comments on turbine vs compressor finishing?

i have had a HVLP turbine since the early 90's

for me it works great - much more portable than a big compressor - can setup and spray anywhere, including cabinet cases after installtion

But i only do water based finishing so heating the supply air has never caused me problems

That's a pretty big issue. I spray mostly lacquer and conversion varnish, so a turbine heating the air makes things difficult. The other issue is that turbines are really only the way to go if you need the portability. If it is just going to be setup in your garage or shop then you'll get a lot of use out of a big compressor that you can't get with a turbine.

They make hoses, I have had several hundred feet running at times, and the pressure was enough to drive 2 framers, so buy your big 60 gal. compressor and run hoses into the house if you need to. You'll have plenty of air to run any trim gun.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack