Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two tools one circuit?

I pigtailed one line (10g) from my breaker box two 220 outlets and put a 20a recepticle on each. Where I pigtailed the connection I was sold a box that sat behind the outlet box so it was deep enough to join in the wires for the second box down the line.

I talked to a union electician who sold me the boxes. She told me that if I got inspected they might fail it and all I would have to do is unconnect the pigtail to the second box on the line and put a cover on the second box outlet.

Of course I said well if its not code why do you sell the box to do it.....

She smiled....

Go figure..

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    As I said, I am not an expert. However, I would think that he would run the risk of blowing the breaker when he tries to run two tools on it.

I'm not sure what everyone else does, but I like to run my DC when I'm using my tools. After all, it is a really small expense.
    Oh, I understand now - thanks - but I disagree. A 20a breaker may well blow - which was the OP's point. A 30a breaker will not blow when running DC plus one other tool (gotta use correct wire gauge).

BTW - ".........I like to run my DC when I'm using my tools..........." Good grooming tip - thanks - hadn't thought of that.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Mmmm, are you sure? I would expect to blow it with my 3 HP Oneida cyclone and my 15" planer (3 hp).

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Oh, I understand now - thanks - but I disagree. A 20a breaker may well blow - which was the OP's point. A 30a breaker will not blow when running DC plus one other tool (gotta use correct wire gauge).

BTW - ".........I like to run my DC when I'm using my tools..........." Good grooming tip - thanks - hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    Mmmm, are you sure? I would expect to blow it with my 3 HP Oneida cyclone and my 15" planer (3 hp).
    Philip - sorry - that's non-responsive. My reply wasn't specific to your equipment - it was specific to the OP's situation, and it turns out that my draw happens to be comparable to his. I would have to assume you did what you needed to do, as did I, and as should he.

A more global answer would have been more along the lines of run separate 50a circuits to each 10hp machine, but not sure how that makes sense, because............"we're gonna vent our frustration, and if we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse. You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you get what you need."
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.