Thread: Bowl coring done

Bowl coring done

I would like to start by thanking all for the advice on coring. I cored a large maple blank and got 3 bowls 17,13,and 8 inch. I can see how more can be done, but on my first attempt I was very cautious. I checked where I was in the blank often not to make a funnel. It took me nearly 6 hours to go out back get a log cut it round on the band saw (had to change the bandsaw blade) mount it turn it round cut a tennon.Mount it in the chuck core and rough shape the big bowl. Remount and core two additional bowls. I rough shaped those also and anchorseald eveything. I think an additional chuck would have been nice. It was not that difficult once I made up my mind to do it. I would not start a project like this at nite after work. Now on to natural edge. I can see a real plus when I get to burls which may even be next.

Kevin, thanks for the info/update on that. I'm looking to take the jump on a coring system, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. What set are you using? I'm looking at the McNaughten system and getting the standard set and the large set. I figured that having both might give me a bit of flexibility in coring a little bit deeper on some blanks.

I have the McNaughton System I sent an E-mail out to all the members in my woodturning club to see if anyone had one to sell and I got it for nearly half price. I don't think coring is for eveyone so there are probally a lot of unused sets sitting around.

Congrats on getting your first coring completed! I tried to use that same system - but only once! I know the system works but it didn't for me. I may try again some day but most of my turnings are hollow forms - so not much need for a coring system - at this time.

Hope you can add some photos next time as a lot of folks are interested in coring systems and what they can do.

Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Kevin sounds like you got it down. Some pic's of the bowls would be nice. I tried the McNaughton system and had troubles all the way. I sold it for what I had in it and bought the Oneway system. I love it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Had similar results as Steve and Bernie, and returned mine for a refund. Guess it works well for some and not for others.
    Richard in Wimberley

Wondering what horsepower motor on your lathe is required for coring? Thanks in advance! Steve

POWERMATIC 3520 2hp

I am thinking more and more that half the problem in learning to use the McNaughton is in fine tuning the blades. The bends aren't consistent. The other half is having some one walk you through it.

As to horse power, I would recommend 1 1/2 at least. You can get by with 1 hp, but it isn't easy. The cutters on all systems are about 3/8 inch wide, and cut as scrapers, so that gives you an idea about what it takes to cut with a coring system.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I am thinking more and more that half the problem in learning to use the McNaughton is in fine tuning the blades. The bends aren't consistent.
    robo hippy
    I think you are right about that.

Kevin:
    Coring natural edge blanks isn't too much different. You just have to be extra careful not to plunge into the uneven edge too fast. Also be really careful not to let the blade rub on the outer side of the cut. You could catch an uneven edge of the rim as it comes around, and the result wouldn't be too pretty.

Burl cores very easily. The ones I have done have been very well behaved, which is good since you are usually trying to core lots of thin cores out of a nice burl. That is more a matter of having some experience and confidence with the tool so that you are comfortable you aren't going to make a funnel out of a nice blank.

Have fun playing with it. It gets even more fun the more you do it.

Reed is right about the McNaughtons...they suffer from poor quality control IMHO. One of my buddy's blade tips were off the proper radius by 1/4-3/8" from the factory.