Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can two stacked DC's work better than 1 bigger one

I just came across this thread that talks about the differences of putting 2 DC's in series and in parallel, it answered many of the questions I had about doing this. Member James McArther shared alot of information about his findings and provides a link to more info in his last post in the thread.
    After reading, I have come to the conclusion that putting the DC's in series is the better way to go.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php...te=1&p=1385479

2. It does indeed seem to work putting them in series. I guess its similar to a twin turbo on a car. Both are the same size but the overall system produces twice the power a single one would. The video shows the difference between each motor. Well worth trying it out if you have a second DC to hand. I managed to get the extra dust collectors for £50, which I think is about $75 your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sparks View Post
    I just came across this thread that talks about the differences of putting 2 DC's in series and in parallel, it answered many of the questions I had about doing this. Member James McArther shared alot of information about his findings and provides a link to more info in his last post in the thread.
    After reading, I have come to the conclusion that putting the DC's in series is the better way to go.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php...te=1&p=1385479
    That link just sends me back here. Is there another link?

Allen, here is the correct link to the thread mentioned in my previous post.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ust+collectors

You can also do a search of "Dust Collectors" and you will get 20 pages of threads regarding dust collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I am just guessing using my experiance with turbochargers and superchargers as a basis for my guess, but the principals are the same. In a twin sequential turbo setup the second turbo spins faster or is of a larger size spinning the same but flowing more air, and so a gain in air density.
    Since a DC is suction as opposed to pressurizing the air, should the order of smaller fan and larger fan be reversed? In other words, to do this with a DC should the larger fan be before the smaller fan?

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Hi Alan

A jointer shouldn't need that much cfm to collect chips. I don't have a Laguna jointer, but I can tell you what I had to do with my Shop Fox (Grizzly) 8" jointer. The inside of the dust chute (coming downhill from the cutter head) was open on top on mine. This ruined the airflow stream. Following advice from other owners, I taped a cardboard spacer inside the chute in order to fill the gap. Viola, perfect chip collection.

Again, I don't specifically know about your machine, but you might want to unscrew the plastic DC outlet and have a look at the chip path. Cardboard and tape is pretty cheap.
    David,
    Do you know where you found this? Or have more info? My chute on my Craftsman is homemade and it stops up, due to the size of the chips.
    Thanks