Thread: Powermatic Bandsaw Owners

Powermatic Bandsaw Owners

Have you ever tried a 1" blade on your PWBS-14? if so, what were the results?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    I couldn't even properly tension 3/4" carbide blade on that saw. I've heard it opined that none of the cast iron 14" BSs are really going to be able to tension a blade like that. It drove me to buying a steel Laguna 14SUV.

I have that saw; the widest blade I ever used on it was a 3/4" Timberwolf. It had a crummy weld so I went back to a 1/2" blade.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    Hey Nick !
    Seems your another PM man like myself
    I have never used a blade that wide on my PM 14" bandsaw - all the reading I have done has advised staying away from anything larger than 0.5" - mainly because the machine cannot tension a blade bigger than that. If you try, it will most likely either bottom out the tensioning spring or worse, distort the cast iron frame of the machine ...that can't be a good thing.

Cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    It drove me to buying a steel Laguna 14SUV.
    Good choice.

I have a PM 87 20" and tried a 1" blade once. Too much drag with wet wood, too much tension and a pain to weld, coil and set up. I use 1/4" and 3/8" even to resaw up to it's depth of 11 5/8". (I just found that without the blade guard I can go to 13".)