Thread: Wide belt sander questions

Wide belt sander questions

Need some help here guys! I'm looking at buying a wide belt sander but not sure which one I should buy. My 2 choices are both Grizzly machines, one is the G9983 15" open end for $3300 and the other is the G0527 18" "closed" for $4700.

Other than the obvious differences of 3 inches worth of belt, closed or open and locked into 18" width or the option of 30" width and $1400 in price, what are the differences? Is the closed end 18" sander that much better? Would I kick myself if I didn't spend the extra money or would I kick myself if I did?

Is the dust collection better on the closed end machine? Will it sand "flatter"? Quieter? Safer? Faster? What gives?

I was going to stop into the Grizzly showroom and talk to them on Tuesday but ran out of time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan

Just make sure it has a platen for finish sanding.

I'm not sure what the used market is right now for a widebelt, but three years ago I paid $4500 for a 37" Speedsander that was in really good shape.

Karl, I won't say it's a good example of the used market, but I just paid $750 for a 77' 43" Timesaver several months ago at auction. It's in good shape and will likely be running fine long after the Grizzlies have been recycled for car parts
    Seriously though I wouldn't hesitate a guess as to which machine is better. I think I'd be a bit nervous about using the open ended models on wider stock that needs to be flipped. What capacity do you really see yourself needing? I think I'd call Grizzly and get some references for other guys who've bought those machines and talk directly to people that own them. That's really the only way you'll get accurate answers to your questions.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I've had the 15" open mouth belt sander for a couple years now, and have run miles of wood through it.

As I suspected, trying to run wide stuff though by flipping it results in a faint line. There is also probably a slight quality drop in precision from left to right, as I can physically move the table a bit.

Having said the drawbacks, I absolutely love the machine. It has a nice small foot print, hasn't had the slightest mechanical problem and hasn't even killed my little compressor yet. One plus to the open mouth design is that changing belts is twice as fast since you don't need to fiddle with a spacer block.

My smallish 2 bag dust collector does a perfect job of handling the machines dust, so that's not an issue with the open end design at all.

The one mod I would do on these machines is a nice digital readout and a dedicated digital caliper mounted next to the machine.

No matter what you choose, it is a profoundly wonderful improvement to your shop. (Unless you find meditative value in hours of your life spent with your 6" orbital sander....)

Order up all the grits, but I primarily use 150. In softer woods like soft maple, alder or fir, one .007 pass on each side is all you need to remove planer marks. Harder woods like cherry, oak etc or woods prone to chipout like maple, get a .010 pass with 100 or 120, followed by a .005 pass with 150. Yep, I have it down to a science....

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 03-19-2010 at 5:50 PM.

I missed a good deal on an 18 inch sander about 5 years ago. Sander with 100 belts went for $900. Really don't want to wait around to see if I can find another deal like that.

I don't size is any concern to me. I plan on sanding boards before building things. I spent half a lifetime with a 3x21 belt sander removing planer marks from hickory - enough is enough!

I guess the real question was, what do you get for $1400 price difference? I could get another big machine for that kind of money...

I will give Grizzly a call or stop down to see them sometime before I make the final decision. Calling some owners (if they'll tell me) is a good idea.

Thanks

Bryan

Glad I could help

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    Glad I could help
    You did Steve, you did! I didn't mean to ignore that but I guess my last post did. Thanks for your input. Do have the Grizzly sander?

Bryan

Yep, it's the G9983 you are looking at.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Berguson View Post
    I missed a good deal on an 18 inch sander about 5 years ago. Sander with 100 belts went for $900. Really don't want to wait around to see if I can find another deal like that.

I don't size is any concern to me. I plan on sanding boards before building things. I spent half a lifetime with a 3x21 belt sander removing planer marks from hickory - enough is enough!

I guess the real question was, what do you get for $1400 price difference? I could get another big machine for that kind of money...

I will give Grizzly a call or stop down to see them sometime before I make the final decision. Calling some owners (if they'll tell me) is a good idea.

Thanks

Bryan

If they don't provide references I would have some serious concerns about buying from them. Any retailer of large equipment should be ready to provide references upon request. I don't think you'll have a problem.
    good luck,
    JeffD