Thread: How to make a raised panel door on the tablesaw?

Blog Entries

Question How to make a raised panel door on the tablesaw?

I need to make some raised panel doors on my table saw. Can anyone show me how to make a jig to perform this safely & accurately?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I did this myself for the first time just about 2 weeks ago. Only "jigs" I used were a zero-clearance insert and & a tall aux fence on my TS. There are articles on how to do this, I think I saw one on FWW's site, and I'm sure there are others available...

Blog Entries
    Here's how I do it. How to make raised panels on a TS

The photo show how the panels look.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-19-2010 at 8:53 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Of course, a router table or shaper gives the best results, but years ago I made quite a few using a tenon jig on a TS. Many examples on the web.

Here are a couple of ways that I did it before I got a raised panel set for the router table. Both of these methods worked well for me but if you are not comfortable performing them, then don't. My methods may not be considered safe for someone else.

One way:

Decide on the width of the raised portion and set your fence that distance from the blade with the blade raised for a 1/8" deep cut. Run all four edges of the panel (face side down) to score it.

Tilt the blade 10 degrees.

Install a tall auxiliary fence.

Raise the blade to a height where it is just above the level of the scoring cuts you made with the stock standing on edge.

Position the fence so that the blade cuts all the way to the base of the scoring cut.

Run the panel through on all four edges.

Another way:

Find top-dead-center of your blade and place a mark on the ZCI.

Lower the fence below the ZCI.

Position a wooden auxiliary fence at an angle across the top of the ZCI kerf at the TDC mark. (a 2x4 works well) Secure the fence in position on both ends.

Turn on the saw and raise the blade until it extends ~1/16" above the ZCI. It will cut into the aux fence.

Run all four edges of the panel through. Use push blocks to hold the stock flat on the table and firmly against the aux fence.

Raise the blade 1/16" and repeat until the depth of cove desired is achieved.

Note: You can also tilt the blade to achieve different configurations of the cove method. There are tables on the net that show the different style coves vs blade angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln