Thread: What to Call Them

What to Call Them

I know that pieces turned with the bark side up are called "natural" edged pieces, so I'm tentatively calling these "unnatural" edges. I've been turning them since last Sunday, mostly out of frustration, after the wife and son split a big old half-rotted stick of soft maple while I was away hauling with the tractor. I came back, saw the curl, and had to count higher than ten before I could say anything. Help with the wood is worth a lot, missing some figured stock maybe not as much.

My answer to the split faces is to make them part of the design. The whiskers on some will be knocked off when I can final sand them. They're almost all too wet right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they look pretty cool... you might want to try ebonizing the edges for effect... I think that would bring out the turning real nice...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

George -

Looks like you made a very nice batch of lemonade from the lemons you were left. Nice work!

Regards,
    Ted

Nice peices, George! Also, I think that Tom may be on to something with the ebonizing. I think I'd try it on one of them to see how it looks.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

They are nice looking. Try burning the edges with a pencil torch. I think that would emphasize that rugged rim even more. They really look like broken shards of pottery...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

George,
    Very cool! I like them alot as they are, although I think scorching the rims with a torch would also look quite good.
    Brad

Question

Well, two methods of "ebonizing," one with permanent marker and one with India ink are not going to do with a shellac wash. Tried them on scrap, and they ran all over. Oil-based finishes are waiting for full heating season, so I guess I'll try them again later when we've got a permanent fire. We let the house drift a bit rather than overheat, and the basement gets a bit cooler than oil likes for drying.

Scorching sounds risky. How do you get the dark on one surface without getting it inside or out? Or do you just sand surfaces after the scorch to get rid of discoloration? I'm willing, though one of the driest with a quickie shellac looks pretty good. It can only improve with a bit more, and maybe a buff.
    Attached Images Attached Images