Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 10" table saw blades

Best 10" table saw blades

I am not sure if this topic has been chewed on this forum already. Can experienced folks here suggest the best 10" table saw blades that will give super clean cuts ? And is there not any blade that can give joint quality cuts for both ripping and cross cutting (so that I don't need to deal with multiple blades with multiple tasks). I really hate changing the blades (no matter how easy it is).

I use a Freud 50t general purpose blade on my TS, but for glue line ripping, I have a dedicated blade. For precise crosscutting...dedicated blade there too. There is no universal answer for specific applications (dang that sounded prophetic).
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Does anyone have experience with Forrest WW II 40T blade ? The Forrest web site touts this single blade replaces both rip and cross cut blades (although they themselve call it a "Ripping" blade). It is on sale at Rockler for $92.

I use the Freud Glue Line Rip 30T, makes very clean cuts. I do not cross cut with it, but have cut tenon shoulders with very good results.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I use a Freud 50t general purpose blade on my TS, but for glue line ripping, I have a dedicated blade. For precise crosscutting...dedicated blade there too. There is no universal answer for specific applications (dang that sounded prophetic).
    Bill
    Same here. I have a Freud glue line rip and cabinet makers crosscut. Plus a few others.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It is all about what you are willing to spend as well. I just bought a Freud Premier Fusion 40T Combo blade and love it. It is an ATB blade, thought I wish it was Triple Chip or #1 to leave a flat bottom. I would like to have the flat teeth for cutting small tenons and what not. A ton of people use the WWII and love it. I personally have not used one but have thought about getting one. But right now for my money, if I had to do it again, I would get another Freud.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Milind Patil View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Forrest WW II 40T blade ? The Forrest web site touts this single blade replaces both rip and cross cut blades (although they themselve call it a "Ripping" blade). It is on sale at Rockler for $92.
    I've got 2 of them. One on the saw when the other is out for sharpening. Also have the WWII 30t for stuff like 8/4 HM, and the 80t ATB for fine-quality panels, but the WWII 40t is on the saw most of the time. $92 is an excellent price. They are excellent blades - you cannot go wrong. I cannot compare them to others, because the WWII was my first blade, and I have never had any reason to try a different brand.

Oh yeah - and their dado set, and 2 @ 12" chopmaster for the CMS. I like to have sharp blades

EDIT: Just noticed your location. Taj Mahal: "She caught the Katy, and left me a mule to ride............"
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Many will beg to differ but, I use my WWII for rough cuts. A very expensive general purpose blade in my experience. I run a Freud 24t for rips ($24 on sale via Amazon, regularly around $40) and an 80t for crosscuts ($38 on sale, regularly around $55). I have the WWII and another 40t for bringing things to rough size or sizing particle board, MDF and the like and am glad to have them.

These are all thin kerf blades. The 80T is on sale at Rockler online right now. I just ordered another one as it is not much more than sharpening one of my current ones.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-20-2010 at 1:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Many will beg to differ but, I use my WWII for rough cuts. A very expensive general purpose blade in my experience. I run a Freud 24t for rips ($24 on sale via Amazon, regularly around $40) and an 80t for crosscuts ($38 on sale, regularly around $55). I have the WWII and another 40t for bringing things to rough size or sizing particle board, MDF and the like and am glad to have them.

These are all thin kerf blades. The 80T is on sale at Rockler online right now. I just ordered another one as it is not much more than sharpening one of my current ones.
    I think FWWII is overhyped. They are good but not excellent. I used one for a while and didn't like it. Sold it and got a Freud Fusion. It's similar but better IMO. I have also a titanium general purpose blade form Sawstop and I think it's an excellent blade (comparable to the Freud Fusion, and BETTER than FWWII). I have use it for almost all the cuts, except when I want to do a lot of ripping in 2" stock I switch to a freud rip blade. I don't need any cross-cutting blade as I get good enough results with the 40t blades.

Having said all these, there is NO single blade that is excellent in all purposes, if that's what you are looking for.

I have it, use it for everything, have never needed any other blade since I bought that one. There are surely others as good, but I am completely satisfied.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wwii

I have one blade - WWII.

Got my last 2 on sale @ amazon - $69 and $72 respectively. I've never used Freud blades so I can't say how they compare.

If you are thinking about using a thin kerf blade find out how it will work with your riving knife before you buy.

MK

In my cabinet saws I'm moving toward using combinations blades like the Systimatic 37102, Freud LU84, Amana 610504 or Oshlun SBW for almost everything except heavy ripping, when I switch to a regular rip blade, usually always in the 12" saw. The combination blades have a raker tooth that gives a flat bottom cut.

If I did a lot of sheet goods or man made materials I would probably use something with an ATB-high grind. I've never used a Forrest blade, and unless someone gives me one, don't plan to.

The WWII 40T is an excellent general purpose (GP) blade, as are the Infinity Super General, Ridge Carbide TS2000, Tenyru Gold Medal, Infinity Combomax, and from what I've read and seen, the Freud Fusion is in that league. The strength of these GP/combo blades is versatility, but they don't offer excellent performance in any given area. A good quality dedicated rip blade will undoubtedly offer a more efficient cut than a 40T GP blade, and a good quality 60T or 80T crosscut blade will undoubtedly leave a cleaner cut than a 40T GP blade. However, there's never a free lunch...the rip blade that cuts faster will leave a rougher cut than a 40T blade, plus it has very limited useful operating range. The dedicated crosscut blades will cut cleaner than a 40T GP blade, but will cut slower with higher resistance to the saw, and will have a higher chance of burning the wood....the crosscut blade also offers limited operating range.

If you truly want excellent performance in all regions from thick ripping to fine crosscuts and plywood, you're going to need at least two blades. Otherwise you need to be willing to accept the limitations of one good GP blade.

More detail about blade selection here.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'm finding this Diablo framing blade makes excellent cuts in everything.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have had good experience with anything that Freud makes that is sharp -- blades, router bits -- you get the idea. I don't have any of the really high end blades, but I get very good results with $30-40 Freuds. That being the case, their $80-100 blades must be fantastic.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.